I Forge Iron

New forge build

nortonscustom

Dad bought the parts from Jay Hayes back in 2003. I found the shell and burners while cleaning out the barn. Figured it was time to finish it.

forge_build_001.thumb.jpg.8eb68dd611584b

Made the back side as a cap to make is easier install the Kaowool and to service later.

forge_build_002.thumb.jpg.f610804cae0d3b

For the doors i used a couple of cheap chipping hammers for the handles. The hinge is held with a pull pin to make for easy removal.

forge_build_003.thumb.jpg.4c5a65b82e7c3c

A buddy gave me a couple of K-type T/C's and a temp controller. A bit overkill but it was free.

forge_build_004.thumb.jpg.08bea3733ac583

I'm still waiting on some misc parts and fittings so started tacking together a stand/cart for it. Should be done in the next week of so. Pretty excited to fire it up.

forge_build_5.thumb.jpg.e521a0f4ddcafce4

Edited by nortonscustom

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

That is some piece of equipment you're building there. I'm looking forward to seeing it running. I think you'll find a slide out helper a handy addition to your forge. Basically just a bar level with the bottom of the opening on  telescoping sections so you can extend it out to rest long stock on or push it back in out of the way. I hang the tongs I'm using at the time from mine.

Nice work.

Frosty The Lucky.

Charles, the local hardware sells them here as well. I just happened to have more chipping hammers than I'll ever need so that's what I used.

Frosty, thanks. And yep,  I plan on putting a sliding support on the stand. Figure it can also double as a handle to help wheel it around.

I GUESS that'll do. It's a thing of beauty and looks like it's screaming hot too. Well done.

A helically wound handle on the helper would serve the purpose of keeping stock where you put it too. There's sometimes the problem when other guys are using my forge at the same time of bumping other's work out of position.

Of course I suppose I could just fire off another burner and everybody could have their own section or one much larger one. Still a helper that would keep stock where you put it might be a handy thing as well as showing off your handy work.

Frosty The Lucky.

• 3 weeks later...