I Forge Iron

where to order coal from?

I've searched online as much as I can and I'm sick of it. I want some regular old bituminous and I want good stuff. Where online should I order from? I've only tried non char once. It was ebay anthracite and it was a clinking sticky hot mess. It was hot but it just clumped and smoked up the joint. It didnt seem to last much longer than char either. So is centaur forge coal good stuff or is there better? I'll take pochohantas or sitting bull or davey croket flim flam appleseed. I DONT CARE. I just want it to burn proper. I know how to manage a fire. Who should I order from online? I'm near Chicago and I need 100lbs. No road trips. Please advise.

If you MUST order online then I suppose picking up the phone is out of the question? Have you CALLED a farrier and asked where s/he gets coal? Even if s/he doesn't burn coal s/he will certainly know where to buy it or who does and give you a name. You'll probably have to look the phone book and talk to a person though.

Frosty The Lucky.

I can look out any north facing window at the southern end of a coal field a couple hundred miles wide and 350 long, 10,000' high and 10,000' deep on average and can't buy metallurgical coal without shipping it from Appalachia. We can go dig up to a ton a year if you can find a seam that doesn't clinker more than it heats.

I burn propane. So yes I have gas, LOTS of gas. :huh:

Early on I was running my first propane forge and the internet went public. Soon I was talking with Ron Reil and we were brainstorming burners. However I found a Buffalo rivet forge with a primo blower and wanted to give coal a try. I let my fingers do the walking in the Yellow Pages. The first farrier I talked to burned propane but told me who to call about coal. Talked to that farrier and he told me they were shipping it in from outside and said if I wanted to join the Guild I could chip in for an equal share. Usibelli coal mine is about 75-100 miles up the road but doesn't sell to the public, most goes to China or the power plant in Fairbanks. Besides it's not metallurgical coal anyway. Talk nice and they'll sell you sub bituminous for what that's worth.

I know for a fact there is high quality metallurgical coal at Castle Mtn. IF you can find a seam that isn't weathered into clinker seed.

I burn propane. I didn't intend to become a sort of naturally aspirated burner guru but I had to burn something and charcoal is a hassle, done that, gave me gas.

Frosty The Lucky.

Let me re-phrase this:  "I want to buy good coal that is fairly local to me so I'm going to ask the entire world for help instead of contacting the local smithing groups and asking where they get theirs---shoot they may even sell it locally to members!"

I buy my best coal about 1500 miles from my shop---when I attend Quad-State..

Yes Tom. I'm asking online. There are 3 known smiths within 50 miles of my house. 1 got weird about "trade knowledge". The suppliers of coal near by (which I've called) sell stoker by the ton. I have not called the other smiths because I know that every coal mine is far away. Which means that they travel, have it shipped, or use another source of fuel. Now I could either hope that 2 people will pick up the phone and tell me where to get what I'm looking for, or I can use the internet to ask thousands of smiths the same question that can be answered outside of buisness hours and replied to whenever I want. The "local" club meets rarely in the middle of the state which is a days drive. So in that case I would have to pay guild fees, wait months, spend hundreds in gas, hope that I can arrange the time, and drive for hours and hours. Or I can click a button and pay for shipping. Learning from some buddy smiths would be nice but I need to get a few bags quick and Im just asking where a good site to order from is.

Missal Grain. 70 miles or so southwest of Chicago.$14.00 for a 50 pound bag. The guy selling it is a blacksmith plus he runs the grain elevator. I don't know the "name" of the coal, all I care is it's blacksmith coal and yes, it works fine. He buys it by the semi load and it comes out of Virginia if I recall. Look up Missal Grain and get the number. I have it but don't know if I can post it here.

• 1 year later...

Try phoning tractor supply company. I got good anthracite for $6.00 for a 40 pound sac. Actually, it was on sale so I paid $5.oo for each sack. They were selling it off to make room for this coming winter's supply. I reckon that most of their customers use coal for space heating. I am certain that they could make a special order for you . (especially if you need a half or a full ton.) There are other vendors too. Look around. Paying $1.00 per pound at Centaur  Forge, or Kayne & co. is not a very clever move.

Good luck with the search.

SLAG.