I Forge Iron

inexpensive MIG welder advice

Hello all.  I couldn't find an answer to this question, if it's already there, please redirect me.

I'm looking for an inexpensive 110V mig welder, the only thing I plan on using it for is to tack Damascus billets, as I have a gas powered stick welder that I use for anything that requires strength. 

My diesel mechanic who is also a good friend said that any cheap Harbor Freight-like model would work fine for this application, and not to worry about the idea of spending the most I can afford for this reason.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks 

In general I advise to go for a used "name brand" over a new HF as longevity and repair play a part in my calculations.  Of course a round trip to HF from my smithy is about 3 hours of driving so a "free replacement" *isn't*!

Edited by ThomasPowers

I just went through this myself, I needed one for tacking things here and there, nothing fancy, but although there's a lot of things I will buy from Harbor Freight I didn't think that was one I wanted to chance.  I ended up with a Lincoln Electric Wire Feed from my local Home Depot, it was actually a little LESS expensive than the HF similar item.  I have been just insanely happy with it - I might go so far as to say I'm in love with it.  I find myself begging friends now, "Don't you have something you need welded?!"  It's just so darn easy to use.   

The LE is a 110, which fits your need, but being the overly cautious type that I am I had an electrician out to run me a dedicated circuit for it.   Probably totally unnecessary but I feel better having it.  BTW I had him install it outdoors, off my back patio, since I do all my welding and heavy duty grinding out there anyway.  

I used a little GMAW  welder. A wire feed that uses 70% argon 30% CO2 for shielding gas CO2 isn't an inert gas so it's NOT a MIG, Metal & Inert Gas welder. Not that it wouldn't be just as happy running Argon or even Helium but I didn't use it for metals requiring a real mig. Anyway, I picked it up at a cheapo tool outlet, Bob's Closeouts" by name. It was a really inexpensive 110v with a 75 amp/30% duty cycle output. It worked a treat for really light stuff and died one day, No parts available, couldn't even find a company that'd admit making the thing.

The GMAW I use now is a Hobart 110 Handler and it's WAY more welder than the Bob's Closeouts special. You can buy higher output 120v. Hobarts now and maybe someday I'll get one but this one has to wear out first. I'll probably have to let it go in my estate sale. <sigh>

The Lincoln wire feeds are every bit as good, maybe better, if Miller makes one it'll be right up there too. I consider HF as a being on a level with Bob's Closeouts though It has a LOT more outlets. Quality is down there though and good luck getting parts or service.

Frosty The Lucky.

I used a lincoln 135 pro mig from lowes for years and ran the flux core wire so I didn't need to keep filling up a bottle. It is much more convenient an doesn't mind dirty metal so much as running gas.

It worked great and never had an issue with it. As a matter of fact I still have it.

We have built Boat trailers, BBQ pits, you name it and it works great. For steel work, a hobbyest probably never needs a better machine.

When I decided I wanted to start into Aluminum and Stainless is when I started buying better machines. I now have a Miller Syncrowave 200 and a Millermatic 350P so the little lincoln mostly sits on the shelf an watches its big brothers do the work these days. But I still consider it an excellent machine and a bargain

Edited by lawman

Greetings Bill.

All of the above is good advice from some well respected folks.. Just my 2c.. Think of resale and who would buy a used HF welder..  You may in the future want to trade up to a larger unit.,  You will always have good value in Miller or Lincoln..  I wish you well

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I've had students bring in their HF migs to class because they were having trouble at home welding with them, yet don't have issues with the machines the tech school has. Wire speed on many of them are quite erratic making them a real pain to do nice welds with. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

I often see plenty of nice gently used 110v 130 amp to 140 amp class migs offered for reasonable prices on CL. Most of these users realized that they really should have gotten a bigger mig right off the bat and are upgrading. For what you are doing a used 110v Miller, Lincoln or Hobart  that will use gas and solid wire ( lowest priced Lincolns and Hobart's are FC wire only) would work fine. I'd still suggest keeping your eyes open for a nice used 220v mig given the option. I've seen a few really nice deals on older migs like the Miller MM 200 on occasion. Remamber you can always turn down a bigger machine, but you can't use power you didn't buy.

I would suggest a name of a used place to look, but I have no idea what brands are available in the country of "Outside the box"  good luck.  Here in the USA the standard line voltage is 120 volts, and places like garage sales and pawn shops have turned up good deals.   Be aware that the box stores sell what may at first appear to be better prices than the welding shops for new units. if you look inside those boxes, you will see that they are not the same, and even getting parts can be a pain.  I learned the hard way years ago.   I got my 100 amp  Century wire feed for $100 from the welding shop, used, from a guy that was upgrading. 

I have no clue where you are with only 110 volts, I never heard of that as a standard voltage any place.

I have a little Lincoln Handi Mig that I love. Not as nice as a big one but good enough to put together the various shop carts, mobile bases and stick part A on part B I need for my shop. I have had it for about one year, use it fairly often and have had no troubles with it.

I picked up a HF 90 amp flux welder for $60.00 used on CL. They work fair, you get what you pay for. The trick is to replace the wire and tips with Lincoln brand . The wire that comes with the HF welder is pure junk. It would make a good weld but being a flux welder it was smokey and would leave flux and slag on everything.  

I did replaced it this winter with a Eastwood 135 mig welder with gas. Need to do some body work this spring, it's a lot nicer welder but everything out the door on sale with full tank was around $400.00 I did have a Lincoln 140 a long time ago it was a great welder but cost a lot more, I ended up selling it with my 65 Mustang. :( 

I was able to sell the flux for $65.00 on CL. 

What kind of budget are you looking to spend?? Are you 230 volt capable?? For a garage/hobby type situation, I'm a huge fan of the dual voltage machines. Lincoln 210 MP, Millermatic 211, Hobart 210MPV, Thermal Arc (Tweco) Fabricator 181i... They are all limited by a lower duty cycle but duty cycle in itself is an illusive creature because it's practically never correct. Besides, all these machines come with built-in thermal overload protection so if the chance arises that you would in fact hit the duty cycle, they will shut themselves down before and danger or damage occurs. I am a professional welder by trade and I also own my own equipment for side work so I look into this kind of stuff constantly and thoroughly. All of the above mentioned machines are in the $1,000 ballpark and all of these options have additional accessories and replacement parts readily available. If purchased new, the basic package of all machines listed come with everything you need to get started besides filler metal and a gas bottle. Hope this sheds some light on the subject for you! Best of luck.

-Hillbilly

• 1 month later...

Since you already have an engine driven welding machine (DC I assume?), why not by a small TIG torch and bottle of argon for your tacking. Once you have it, you'll find many other uses for TIG. Besides, your friends and neighbors will think a TIG rig is WAY cooler than some cheap wire gun.

• 2 months later...

From Hillbillysmith's post I own the Fabricator 181i and it's a fabulous machine. You can stick/wire weld with it and it's super easy to set up. Napa sells them with a bunch of goodies to get started and sometimes a mail in rebate for a free auto darkening helmet for $899.

I don't recall who said it now but I would also suggest buying more power than you need. You can always turn it down.