I Forge Iron

My New "Toys" ! !

I went about 15 years in a machine shop/fab shop with out a port-a-band until last year when I got a HF model in a trade. It turned out to be so handy that when it died I replaced it with a Milwaukee brand for my Christmas present to me. 

Russell

I did discover a "Scrap Yard" in my area....guy is one of the bluejean millionaires or something. I picked up some diamond plate, regular plate, large channel, large angle, and a bunch of fire brick....yesterday for $100...Really nice guy.

Says he has a old budden 250+ LB Anvil...Im fishing....Said I was interested.

I got a email from a closing spring shop, said they have tongs, forges, and 5 large anvils for sale...still waiting on responce with pics and prices.

Im in southern cal...if anyone is interested let me know. I don't normally like to share lol but with the closing shop, I might pass on what I hear back if anyone is interested.

Hate for some collector to come around and make lawn art...if I can't afford what I hear.

Just make shure that the cut off wheal is rated for atleast that speed. It probably was set up to use discarded chopsaw blades. I built an adapter to do so on my 8" hand grinder. Again make sure the wheal is rated for more than the motor and leave the guard

​Thank you. I will make sure I check. This was a swap meet find. Didn't even consider it. I will check the wheel that is on it aswell.

​Is that good?

perfect for that application,its just you don`t often see high speed single phase motors most are 1450rpm and I have seen some at 2800rpm.Its a good bit of gear anyway with that machine table.

When you use that or any rotating tool stay OUT of the plane of rotation. You've seen mud slung of a bicycle wheel yes? That's the plane of rotation and things like grinders, wire wheels, buffs, your cut off saw, etc. can either grab things or even shatter shooting shrapnel at HIGH velocity. When I say high velocity I mean punch through your breastbone and penetrate your heart high velocity. We lost a member last October to a buffing wheel.

Just learn to stand to the side so WHEN something gets caught you just are NOT in the way. Another thing to think about where cut off wheels are concerned is they're pretty fragile if hit from the side and it's really hard to see damage. Once damaged they can just come apart and . . . Stay out of the line to fire.

Frosty The Lucky.

Edited by Frosty

The cut off with the table is nice for slotting the end of a piece, for making spurs, or double prong hooks... You can also use the cut off to shave the burr in the bottom of a hot cut slit.  They are a little more dangerous, but very handy to have around...  A full face shield and a leather apron and/or welding leathers would be a good idea. Sometimes the best tool for the job is pretty dangerous, don't take it for granted.  One of my favorite lines when i am demoing is, "everything that a blacksmith does is, hot, smelly, dirty, dangerous, and takes a long time, at least all the interesting things;-).  The portaband is way handy too;-) 

Im in southern cal...if anyone is interested let me know. I don't normally like to share lol but with the closing shop, I might pass on what I hear back if anyone is interested.

Hate for some collector to come around and make lawn art...if I can't afford what I hear.

​I'd be interested if I have a bit of notice. I'll try to drag one of the other smiths from Coloma along with me.

• 2 weeks later...

Will do....on notifying on his response.

I am going to check my emails and see about bugging for a update...

AND THANKS FOR THE SAFETY TIP....I am used to my dremel or air tool shooting a piece at my cheek or other body part...but I think I need to up my precautions...

wow the rpm of that old cut off saw motor is 3450!

​Is that good?

​good or bad depends on the rating for the blade you are using, If your cut off wheel/grinding blade has a max RPM  of 1000 then no, it will explode and kill someone. be sure to find out ok ? have a nice day.