I Forge Iron

Smithin Magician, which punches do you actually USE the most?

Our Forge Council had a Smithin Magician day back several months ago where we all did a big assembly line operation assembling Smithin Magicians.  Everyone got one of their own and so now I have this marvelous tool and four blanks that go in it ready to be cut and formed to whatever configuration I desire, within the limits of my own tools and abilities to form them!  So. My question is for those of you who have one, can you share which bar sets you actually find yourself USING with it the most often?  Can you share pics?  I found one document online showing various configurations, but since I have 4 blanks I'd like to know ahead of time which ones are the most useful instead of just cutting and forming them to something I may never actually use.   Hope this question makes sense to someone....

If you leave square shoulders on your cut off, butcher, and 1/2 round fullering dies, then you can make a little set of kiss blocks that slide over your bottom die and would allow you to forge to 1/4" or 3/8" or whatever.  Also been thinking about drilling and taping holes on the bottom die to take kiss blocks that are held by a set screw.  Something of the things I have been plotting, still need to buy or make a smithing magician, so haven't done it yet..

Greetings SJS,

LOL ... I designed the original slotted side kiss lower die and passed it on to Jerry Hoffman ( Blacksmits Journal) for him to market..  He caled them a forming die.  A blast from the past..  

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

I use my sharp butcher the most often and the radiused butcher to shoulder next most often. My sharp butcher has a pretty acute bevel and isn't so hot for shoulders but works a treat as a cut off, the pinch off is all on one half of the cut. Sometimes this works really well and has never caused a problem. For example making leaves the pinch off makes a nice drip end without having to forge one.

The radiused or shouldering butcher is much more obtuse and the "cutting" edge is radiused around 1/8" or less, I eyeballed it. The radius is to prevent cold shuts shouldering. The fullering die works well shouldering too.

I can't remember the last time I used my cut off dies.

Frosty The Lucky.

You should definitely make a set of butchers.  They can be used for all sorts of small items like leaf pendants and bottle openers, so you'll definitely open up some design ideas with them.

A flat anvil is also very nice because it allows you to use the top die only.  The nice thing is that you don't need to cut up your good stock to make one as most any scrap would do as long as you have a tail that will fit down into the slot on the bottom.

Here's a shot that shows my guillotine with the butcher dies in place and the flat anvil in the foreground.  

IMG_2274.JPG

I've been using these basic dies, the Fuller, Butcher and a Sizing die for tenons, etc.

I use the Fuller dies most often to set shoulders for strap hinges, meat forks, bottle openers, etc.

At this link you can see some shots of how I used the Butcher die and then after drawing the neck down, the Sizing die is used with light hammer blows to clean up the area where the shaft meets the ball end. http://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/41006-how-do-you-forge-a-ball-end-hook/?do=findComment&comment=418889

The handles are for cooking trivets. The bottle openers are from 1/4" x 1" and get fullered down before opening the ring on the horn.

Smithin Magician.jpg

10904045_10152823625061638_2847681574548720138_o.jpg

Bottle Openers.jpg

Glad to help.
Forgot to add, when you make leaves out of flat stock you can carefully fuller the back part of the leaf where the stem meets it.
Its good to know how to do it with just a hammer and edge of the anvil but the Fuller dies can speed things up when making several at a time.

If you can, post some shots of which dies you made.
I've got an extra blank and wasn't sure which one to make for the next die set.

Edited by Grundsau

• 4 weeks later...

​The set I use the most is a flat die with the corners radius at 3/16". Great for starting a tenon. I also use them for many other things. The one thing I did to mine was remove the cross bar and added a removable one So I can have a bottom die with a piece of angle added and the top die with a matching solid on the diamond. To set V for tongs.