I Forge Iron

Civil War stump anvil??

Had this Stump Anvil in my collection for years, just recently saw one similar to it on eBay stating that it was issued with the Civil War Mountain Howitzer to make repairs in the field?? Looking for information to verify it, good shape, was painted red when I purchased it years ago along with some other blacksmithing equipment, I did some wire brushing on it to look for the US stamp, couldn't find any US stamp but still has fairly heavy paint on the surface of the anvil, the hardy is 1/2" pictures below, thanks Bob

post-8013-0-82231900-1424125096_thumb.jp

post-8013-0-27419700-1424125231_thumb.jp

post-8013-0-48960800-1424125289_thumb.jp

post-8013-0-41256800-1424125320_thumb.jp

post-8013-0-37595900-1424125340_thumb.jp

It looks like one to me but I  only read a book once. One of the members here is a serious Civil War reenactor and authored a pretty good book on the subject. As I recall the stake anvil used on the horse cart  cavalry smithy looks a LOT like that one.

Frosty The Lucky.

I know what you mean about eBay, I found information on the person that bought the anvil on a different website and he was duplicating a Civil War mountain howitzer set completely, he indicated that had ordinance drawings, pictures, sketches. Also sent him an e-mail asking for the information,, just thought I'd check here for information too

Ask and here it is.  The official 1850s-60s U.S. Army drawings by Captain Mordecai, used by the period factories for the manufacture of the anvil for use with the Mountain Howitzer of the U.S. War of the Rebellion. Circa 1850s the U.S. Army started documenting just about everything.   If you wish you may compare the measurements of your anvil against the official drawings.

If you wish, you can acquire a photocopy of the complete original plans from:  http://gunneyg.info/html/AOPCatalog.htm

post-2340-0-51778500-1424139951_thumb.jppost-2340-0-20622500-1424139970_thumb.jp

---------------------------------------------------

In contrast for the more common four-wheeled Traveling Forge wagon, the period Ordnance manuals called for a heavier 100 pound anvil.

I need to write your name down Dave, I can't seem to remember when I need to. Heck, I even have a copy of your book if I could remember where I put it . I thought I recognized the stake anvil's pretty distinctive and the records of the times were very complete.

Frosty The Lucky.

David..I found that drawing last night on the web, thanks for posting it ..will check the dimensions later today, but I'm reasonably sure it's the one that was used for the Civil War mountain howitzer,

It sure looks like it.  Let us know if the measurements match. ... Now all you need is to build the matching forge, and anvil stand, to go with it.  :)

post-2340-0-20670700-1424183129_thumb.jp

That stand is nearly priceless if it's original!  Thanks for the picture of it.    My thought was that the crosspin hole was good indication that it was an original of that design.  Not a common feature in the stake anvils I have seen over the years.

And if you do want to build a civil war travelling forge I must highly commend David's book to you!

What about the pin hole in the shank? Do you think they would have bothered with that were it not required by spec?

Do any in your collection have a pin hole?

None of mine look like that. all of mine are hand forged.  This looks like its cast or made in closed dies.  I'm just speculating but, there are 3 options in no particular order, its a similar tool but not the same maker, It was never stamped US because it was not government issue but the same maker, the mark wore off/rusted away.