I Forge Iron

Cast iron anvil

You could use it but it won't work well and won't last long. Working anvils are cast steel, forged steel or a steel plate with a cast iron body with the common theme being a more durable steel face. You might be able to make use of the horn for shaping metal but most other chunks of steel of a comparable weight will be better for forging.

If you have the 15lb version then it won't be much good at all. That is as much use as a doorstop.

You could use it but it won't work well and won't last long. Working anvils are cast steel, forged steel or a steel plate with a cast iron body with the common theme being a more durable steel face. You might be able to make use of the horn for shaping metal but most other chunks of steel of a comparable weight will be better for forging.

If you have the 15lb version then it won't be much good at all. That is as much use as a doorstop.

You forgot the most common of all, wrought iron with a tool steel top plate welded on. 

If you are looking to do some modifications, just attach a steel plate to the top of it. Do this before the top gets dented, and dinged so it is still flat. I am thinking a few flat head allen bolts torqued down, and then welding the heads to the plate would work.

Through bolts may also work

I need to ask, is there a way to connect a steel plate to the top of the ASO without bolts ?

I'd like to try forge brazing it but I am not going to buy a throw away anvil to experiment.

I was thinking something like Biggun  Dr, earlier as well. With a very thick tool plate and as many good bolts as possible it would certainly be an improvement over 55 lbs of cast iron. 

To be fair, Quenchcrack mentioned this years ago.

If one were to bother I would advise 2" thick (at least) forklift tine., under the principle of "more is better" bearing in mind that the top plate isn't fused to the anvil.

But welding cast iron is also not for the beginner. I was thinking brazing, but not sure if the braze would take the pounding.

A forklift tine is what I was thinking too.

I mentioned bolting because a lot of people either have , or know someone with a drill press.

Or an even easier method is to find a big chunk of scrap steel.

It's a door stop. I think someone suggested using it for setting small rivets and such.

Large RR track is always the best first option for being without anvil. I say this because it seems like the easiest to find. Start forging.....then search for bigger blocks of steel to upgrade. Scrap yards, large equipment shops, OLD fab shops. For all of those suggestions....the older and more run down the better. Big block of steel + large dimension pipe or tubing filled and tamped with earth or gravel, and a big brake drum welded together and you are off to the races. Scrap is in the tank right now so it's a good time to look. Don't go dressed as Gandalf or a blacksmith of olde. You won't impress these people.

The big flat one is my first and possibly my fav. It's about 170lbs and 4" thick. AR plate or T1, I can't remember. The rebound would amaze most. The other is mild steel I believe. Pretty soft but has a great rebound too and it doesn't mar my hammers. Great for detail work with different radiuses on each edge.
I probably went too long without a proper anvil to be a dyed in the wool advocate. Now I have the real deal all over but don't use as much as my shop made models. Only when I need to use a spring swage or cutoff tool usually.

post-4684-0-50582700-1423424057_thumb.jp

post-4684-0-52743400-1423424201_thumb.jp

Another option before you use it is to just return it. Harbor Freight is pretty good about returns.

I realize that you may think this is somewhat disrespectful to the one who gave it to you, but an explanation of a soft anvil is not the right type of anvil for the type of work you want to do should work. Use the refund to buy a big chunk of scrap(s) that will work for you, and some other tools.

This should be a better option than to have them see their gift($) end up all beat up in a short time. Their money should be better spent if they really want to see you begin smithing.

I was given a cast iron ASO years ago and was going to try silver soldering a steel plate on it but it's been back burnered so long . . .

Silver solder is WAY  more than strong enough to take anything a human can do to it with a sledge hammer, it's how the carbides are stuck to the teeth in earth auger drill bits. If a 453 Detroit Diesel being stalled out repeatedly grinding through frozen boulders won't break the braze/silver solder join it's good enough for an anvil face.

I've just never gotten that darned roundtit.

Frosty The Lucky.

im with them, return it, explain why you did, and you appreciate the thought behind the present but it will not last very long as an anvil and hit some scrapyards/salvage yards and find yourself a nice hunk of steel to use, big sledge hammer heads, rr track, i beam on end with a thick plate welded on it, theres someone in the tailgating section selling a large peice of steel. all will work better and take muc more abuse, may just have to grind some blemishes every once in while or look into heat treating it, but even un treated steel will work better and last much longer.

Anything, even cast iron ASO could be modified for you needs.  I would use a small 4 1/2" offhand grinder; start with the hard grinding wheel for rough shaping, then use various grit flap disc wheels.  I would do this outside, with a dust mask.  The cast iron tends to grind with a gray/black dust.  It will take some time.   Do NOT try to heat and forge it to shape.  Cast iron will not forge.

If you were dumb enough to stick something that big in a forge fire. How would you even get it out of the forge with out burning yourself

How do you think all Hay Budden, PW, Trenton, Arm and Hammer, and all other forged anvils were made.  They just had a very large heating forge, and the appropriate tools to handle the anvil and parts.  Gantry cranes over the fire that swung the anvil over to the hammer.  There is a way.

If you were dumb enough to stick something that big in a forge fire. How would you even get it out of the forge with out burning yourself

There have been a number of posts here in the past that showed vidoes of industrial forgings that make a 500lb anvil look tiny. Items that come out of an industrial "forge" that weigh in the multi ton range. Just like anything else big and heavy, you just have to have the right tools and equipment to handle them. Cranes and hoists, huge grabbers or "tongs", fork lifts and so on.

Nowadays you have "tongs on wheels" (sort of like heavy duty modified forklifts)  to move hot stuff from forge to powerhammers/presses; way back they used jib cranes with chains, large groups of people with large tongs---I've seen 10' long tongs sized for large stock that were used in industrial settings.

Please remember that that HF cast iron horn is intrinsically weak. You may want to put the time/effort in modifying it on a chunk of steel and use that when you need a better shaped horn.