I Forge Iron

1950 migrant sculpture

Stunning as usual! Everything I have seen of your work so far is inspiring. I am thoroughly jealous of your scrap pile based on the components you use to create the sculptures. The thrift and antique stores up here dont even have nice pieces like you use.

if you dont mind me asking whats a rough estimate of man hours in this piece?

Jaw dropping cool Andrew as usual. Sort of steampunk robotical explorerish. Very inspiring, it has me thinking about an entrance sculpture guarding the driveway a long LARGE riflish thingy and a lamp. Ooh ooh, the brim of the hat could hold the solar cells to run the light. It's need a large brim but that's good.

Tell me; you get an idea, somebody says something weird on the radio or the next table or maybe a little vision pops into your mind and the sculptures sort of build themselves?

Just wicked COOL.

Frosty The Lucky.

Tell me; you get an idea, somebody says something weird on the radio or the next table or maybe a little vision pops into your mind and the sculptures sort of build themselves?

Just wicked COOL.

Frosty The Lucky.

I am very eager to read the answer to this question of how inspiration comes about. Are these sculptures sudden visions? Are they the product of cold (cool) reasoning after some suggestion, for instance, or rather a sort of spontaneous, immediate, and global apprehention of a reality?

And by the way, your work never ceases to amaze me.

Thank you everyone for looking at my art.

Frozen Forge...  I estimate  about 4 months full time work ( this is only an estimate as much more time is spent daydreaming at my other job and also many years collecting the artefacts)

Seldom............ Thanks Dick for the continued  encouragement.

Frost and Yves  ,. The Inspiration for this came from the buyer . His brief stated : 1950 Migrant ,. Sicilian male 35 -40 years old, slim , scarred ,  "just off the boat"    ,   serene , a dreamer , a visionary , non threatening.......classic cut Italian suit ...... curly .hair shoulder length......... with left foot on a rock ..24...inches high .  All I did was join the dots. The buyer was the visionary not me ..........he even supplied and installed the rock (shaped like Sicily!)

Do you often get such clearly defined and described commissions? I'm thinking you hit a home run representing his vision.

When I was doing more mechanical fabrication I preferred folk to tell me what they wanted the thing to do, how much room it had and what conditions it had to run under and I'd take it from there. If they started trying to add design elements or just try helping me it just tended to mess me up. Well, made it harder. I always got a kick out of the flailing arm gestures when folk would try describing what they thought it should look like.

I like having clear goals, conditions and bounderies to work within.

Thanks.

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty,  with my commissions I offer a buyer refusal at no detriment. This is because I have not (yet) had an unhappy customer, So.... its in my interest to know what the buyer wants before I start .  So..................... (apart from physical stance preferences I ask the buyer: . 1. What is the subject (sculpture )thinking? , what are its emotions?  What do you want your viewing public to experience when they look at the artwork?   If a buyer cant answer these questions then they don't know wot  they want...... so we part company. On the other hand sculptures I make for myself are the product of wild dreams , manic madness , drunken meditation , depressed delusions, extreme planning and bored whimsy .

• 3 months later...

No Im always on the scrounge for stuff and I don't mind paying   $ 3-12 dollars for an old tool at a market stall if it will enhance the work , even doing this method the total cost of scrap for a big project comes in under $ 500 which is a fraction of what the work sells for on a big job.

• 3 weeks later...

Up - cycler was the latest one I herd. 

If I'm ever coming up north I'd love to visit ( professional development for tax purposes ) 

Just been given a commission from Vic roads for another roadside sculpture working with the aboriginal community. Tiddalic/jiddalic the frog story, hhmmm, how to make a large frog.....

If I'm ever coming up north I'd love to visit ( professional development for tax purposes ) 

Just been given a commission from Vic roads for another roadside sculpture working with the aboriginal community. Tiddalic/jiddalic the frog story, hhmmm, how to make a large frog.....

No worries,  you are most welcome to visit and stay overnight if you choose .Just bring Beer!

Here's a big frog. Body is the guard off an old Fergy tractor. Feet are spanners.

And if you do come up north, travel further north! You're welcome here!

BIG frog.jpg

thanks heaps ausfire for the feed back and the offer. I would love an excuse to get up there and have a look. My frog has to be 3d free standing about 2mts long 1.5mts high aprox. I'm looking at all sorts of methodology not just metal, so we'll see what pops up.

Edited by littlemilligan