I Forge Iron

Your old scraps, what could you do with them

(This is more pointed at the hobbyists and people who are just getting into it. A commercial smith is unlikely to do this because of cheapness of materials these days and expensive side of labor)

I am sure many, if not all of you at least have a small pile of scraps which just don't have any uses for anything.

Now, a use for this stuff is practising forge welding, and while at it, create bar stock.
This way you get the last bits of $$$ out of the stock you bought or got.

Here are a few picures of a bar I welded together half way to show what piece of scrap they were.
I started with welding 2 bits at the end and continued welding bits to the end till I thought "enough for now".
Then I heat it up and weld it. These welds were done with no flux, in a coal forge.

After I make a new bar, I can turn it into something new again!

- You get the last bit of $$$ out of your stock.
- You practise a basic and fundamental technique without wasting nice actually new stock.
- You (should) end up with new usuable stock.

IMG_2804_zps68b52b23.jpg

IMG_2803_zpsceaa5187.jpg

IMG_2809_zpsf381dbbf.jpg

IMG_2807_zpsa7a1be90.jpg

IMG_2810_zps924d9af5.jpg

He's what I do. I wasn't really in the zone today and when that happens I make whimsical things out of my drop bin. Started as a 4" piece of 3/8" SQ and scrapping little stuff doesn't pay much so instead of $.01 (probably even less) for this little drop, I put 20 minutes into making it a $15 Paper weight or whatever other use someone comes up with. They are also fully functional  :D . Making cute little things keeps me laughing to myself but it also makes me money!

Quick update: The tiny tongs sold for $20 just now and I made $1 per minute I spent working on them and it started off as drop material. Only real expense was gas in my forge so call it an even US $19 profit from scrap metal. Thats why I love using scrap until theres only mangled nubs left over in the bin! Theres gold in your scrap pile folks. You just gotta think outside the box.

I don't want to hijack Technicus's post, just posting what I do with my scrap. I must say though that the skill in forge welding different sized scrap together shown in the OP is awesome! I've watched most of Joe's videos he has posted and he is definitely talented in many aspects.

Joe, that's a great idea...one of those "why didn't I think of that?" ones.

Makes me want to go get some scrap from behind the shop and try it out today.  I've got a bunch of smaller sizes angle iron and other pieces I had used for some stick welding practice.  Not good for much now, but they could be forged into something like 1/2" to 1" thick square bar for future forging.  Will be interesting to see how the weld metal stringers blend in with the mild steel angle iron and scraps.  Thanks for the tip.