I Forge Iron

Top Tool ID

I picked this up with some power hammer tooling last month.
The guy gave this one to me and has several others like it in different sizes, larger then this.
It'll probably be obvious once someone id's it.......
Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Jason

post-9990-0-33499400-1421520765_thumb.jp

post-9990-0-25741400-1421520813_thumb.jp

That's great, thanks everyone.
So if the bits were feet long, how was this used?
We're the forged tips attached afterwards?
Jason

A lot depends on what drill's being used. A hack hammer bit using a star bit couples to the hammer on a shank via a spring clip over a flange in the rod. They vary in size, hole dia. and length of steel. I don't know of jack hammer type impact drills where the bit is separate but there are literally hundreds of different types and styles.

To get an idea, this is a link to the rock drill department of ONE drill tool manufacturer. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Rock-Drill-Rod-Thread-Couplings-Shank-Adaptors/505302_210847954.html

Resetting the point on a star drill with that particular top tool would almost have to be a horizontal operation. Even a short length of steel is going to be a couple feet long and an air track or mine drill takes lengths around 5'.

Were I doing it, never having done it before, I'd set up with my anvil 7-8' from the fire with a couple helpers at the level of the fire's heart. The steel would heat inn the fire when ready, I'd pull it longitudinally from the fire till it butted against the anvil when I'd place the top tool against the worn bit and hit it a mighty blow horizontally. Visualize a one handed golf swing with a single jack sledge or a striker using a sledge.

If you could control it using the rod's weight instead of a hammer would work a treat, hold the tool positioned against the bit and use thrust it like a spear into a solid stop like an . . . Anvil.

Frosty The Lucky.

Anyone notice the question was answered in just 2 minutes after it was posted?

No I didn't Glenn. Pretty good but don't you have something useful to do other than sit around with a stop watch timing responses? If it were earlier in the evening you could give a call and we could tell unlikely stories, solve the worlds problems and generally poke foolishment at each other.

Frosty The Lucky.

A little late for that now on you time schedule. (grin)

I just noticed the time stamp while reading the post.

It is amazing how fast the forum moves at times.

Yeah, things do move fast here. Seems folk like being able to answer questions, IFI is becoming HE go to place to solve smithing problems.

Frosty The Lucky.

snip

Resetting the point on a star drill with that particular top tool would almost have to be a horizontal operation. Even a short length of steel is going to be a couple feet long and an air track or mine drill takes lengths around 5'.

snip

Frosty The Lucky.

Perhaps drop the drill into a socket in the ground or if only doing them as a one-off the smith and striker stand on the bench in order to keep the drill bit vertical and on a solid base?

Alan