I Forge Iron

Looking for ideas of hardy tools or anything useful to forge from a 1 1/4 inch torsion bar just made a cut off hardy (works great) and a light radius swage. Was thinking about a fuller next but wanna know if there's any other ideas of useful stuff I can make out of it to build up my tool collection which is very limited

I've made 3 different sizes of heavy duty bending forks made out of similar material which I use a lot. You have to watch out for how you heat treat them, if you quench them too fast(in water) they fracture easily.  I also have made several rivet headers also used quite a bit. Most of my fullers are made from mild steel and 

seem to hold up fairly well. I made one small cone by upsetting a piece of  axle and then shaping it which is occasionally used too.

What about leaving it as stock till you know what you need? If you make a fuller then realize you needed a cupping tool, but no longer have the stock.......... That or think about what you will be doing and the tools needed for that. If the next project would benefit from bending forks or a swage, make what you will use not necessarily what the rest of us have on our next projects list.

What about leaving it as stock till you know what you need? If you make a fuller then realize you needed a cupping tool, but no longer have the stock.......... That or think about what you will be doing and the tools needed for that. If the next project would benefit from bending forks or a swage, make what you will use not necessarily what the rest of us have on our next projects list.

i have a good bit left and i can get my hand on a couple more of them, i have like 5 feet of over 1 inch spring steel not in a hurry to use it all up just wonderin if theres anything that may be useful i havent even thought of

• 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...

Sucker rod is generally a medium carbon steel and extremely different than H-13

Drill rod is often O-1 and has nothing to do with sucker rod.

Old rock drill was often a fairly high carbon straight steel---back in the days before they put carbide inserts in the ends to do the drilling.

Oil field Drill stem pipe is different from both. (and usually comes in apx 30' lengths...)

H-13 is a high alloy steel and generally few people are willing to pay to use it for items where simple alloys will work. It gets used for special tasks where the requirements make the cost effective. (Rods used in plastic molding dies for instance.)