I Forge Iron

i need a shop will a old wooden grain bin work

Hello every one

So i am in need of a shop i have a few old square grain bins at hone here abd im thinking of turning on into a shop. I was just wondering on how many people have done this the Ben will probably use is probably with me 14 by 14 or whatever it's not that big any ideas?

As long as you have enough headroom, and a door big enough to get your self and equipment in and out, anything can be converted into a work space.  The floor should be something that is hard packed dirt or anything that is not muddy.  If you could get a photo of what you have, we could offer better suggestions as to how to set up and use the space.

That will definitely do the job!  Once so pictures of a guy that built his shop inside a metal grain silo and it was beautiful with the round wall.

The only problem I can see is getting your chimney above the roof line so you can get an adequate draw to take the smoke out.  Of course, if you're using a propane forge, the problem is solved.  Just make sure you have plenty of good air coming in to disperse the bad fumes.

As with any wood structure, you need to be really careful about sparks setting things ablaze that shouldn't be.  Some tin roofing material around the first 6' would go a long way to preventing unwanted burning.

Problem is NOT solved with propane!  It's *worse*!   You at least can tell you are not supposed to be breathing coal smoke; propane exhaust is more of a silent killer and in an enclosed space the forge can reprocess the exhaust making even more CO.  You definitely need a CO detector if you use a propane forge in an enclosed space!

As for 14'x14'   I do most of my knife forging in a 10'x10' area bounded by tong/hammerracks anvils and work benches.  As you *want* your forge-anvil-postvise within 1 step of your working point  this is not a large space.

Now if you want to do gates and big stuff then you will need more space.  Not telling us what you plan to do in your shop makes the answer YES, NO, MAYBE.

I agree with Thomas, ABSOLUTELY, YES, NO, MAYBE.

Anytime you are inside anything and you don't provide fresh air, Carbon Monoxide Poisoning. The silent KILLER.

There is no minimum or maximum size shop. Normal size is 2 feet too small!! Workshop, Sailboat, Trailer, House, all the same.

Some parts of the world don't have stumps for anvils, dig a hole in the ground and stand beside your anvil that is on the ground. No Problem!!

The noodle that is on your shoulders will answer your question, "How much space do I need". Do you hit the ceiling when you lift the hammer up? Raise the ceiling, lower the floor, use a shorter handle, don't lift the hammer that high!! They are all solutions.

There are a group of guys trying to put a group together in the Edmonton area. Let me know if you are interested in information and I will find it.

Merry Almost,

Neil

A pictur or 10 would be useful. Might not be a case yes/no but food for thought on how.
Open inpection door and open fill door go a long way for ventilation. If the are close enugh to gether you may be able to shed between two or more. I find my self strung out with wood working, leatherworking, sewing and metal work areas. Would be nice to have all those work areas clusterd together

In the matter of space.

My forge is in a silo, 14 feet in diameter, 10 foot ceiling. I store all my steel cut in 10 foot lenghts uprigh on the walls... or is it wall ... I do not have any welding equipment or the like.

I forge small stuff but lately I haver been commissionned to forge larger pieces. I am completing a balustrade 40 inches high and one span measures 9 feet. There are four spans. You can do a lot in that kind of space. I also  am forging a guard rail (four steps). A couple of years ago, I forged a tree as a six foot separation in a home.

So, not to worry about 14 x 14 square. My silo is 20% smaller than that.

Yves

After 10 years of stuff piling up going to be a pain to clean her out but I'll get it done within the next week or so before Christmas hopefully have shop set up sometime after Christmas its
It's plenty tall enough for a shop but she's got a slight lean into her for probably only being 75 or 80 years old so might have to deal with that but other than that she's good

post-40486-0-89515100-1418872130_thumb.j