I Forge Iron

5 foot anvil.

I have the utmost respect for the talent and effort it took to make these anvils given the tools, materials and knowledge they had. I doubt that the makers expected that 200+ years later we would be talking about and admiring their work.  I begs the question: What will people 200 years from now be admiring of the tools being made today?

And I am of the opinion that the proper way to cherish a tool is to use it for the task it was made for. While a lovely example it not definitely not unique. (now I will try to prevent abuse of them---new students don't get to use the "old stuff" until they have leaqrned hammer control, etc...)

I too really like the fine upstanding anvil behind and to the right of the 5 footer.

When I die I'm leaving instructions that all my tools go to people who will use them and love them as I have loved them.

One question, Two answers and I consider them both to have merit.

None of my early stuff get used.  Preserving those for posterity.  There are not that many, compared to PW, HB, Fisher, of the real early stuff around.  Hopefully, after I am gone and my collection is dispersed, whoever owns those anvils will cherish them as much as I do.

I voulenteer to be that person. Free to a good home right? :D

I voulenteer to be that person. Free to a good home right? :D

At some point in the distant future, some of the people who have supported and helped with the 'Fisher Project' will be rather surprised with an iron delivery.  Others will have to compete with the world on a famous auction site.

And I am of the opinion that the proper way to cherish a tool is to use it for the task it was made for. While a lovely example it not definitely not unique. (now I will try to prevent abuse of them---new students don't get to use the "old stuff" until they have leaqrned hammer control, etc...)

I too really like the fine upstanding anvil behind and to the right of the 5 footer.

When I die I'm leaving instructions that all my tools go to people who will use them and love them as I have loved them.

One question, Two answers and I consider them both to have merit.

Thomas...why wait? I'll send you photos of the fun your tools are having at my place. Let them come for a visit.

Basher...oil her and bring here out on special occasions.

Ric

First he wants my wrought iron scrap pile and now he wants my tools! Rick I'm afraid the maniacal laughter would scare the anvils....(Memo to self: accept no food or drink from Ric or Ivan...) As I currently have 7 grandkids I have to work on the assumption that I will possibly have "working heirs"----or my wife might take up welding and build a wall....

For now, my collection is in the building I built where I live.  What will happen down the line, who knows.  I spoke with Richard Postman about his collection of anvils before he sold it.  He had offered it to the Smithsonian.  He told me that if he paid for the packing and shipping, they would give him an address of a warehouse to send them to.  Bottom line...they were not really interested. (The Smithsonian displays only a fraction of a percent of their holdings.  Most of it is in warehouses all around the country).

So what will happen to my stuff?  I really do not know.  The original FISHER patterns should be kept together somewhere, along with the ephemera from the factory.  I would love for the line of every size anvil Fisher made to stay together too.  But I doubt it will happen.  After my book is done, I will begin to slowly break up the collection.  I have too much invested dollar wise to just give it away.  Probably on the lines of what happened to Tim Kris's collection.

Hmmm,isn't there a museum of science and industry in Chicago? Maybe even the Ford museum in Detroit, I remember a lot of industrial exhibits there. It would be a shame to break it all up after all of the work you have put into putting it together. Even though anvils are at a premium in some areas it is sometimes good to save examples for study. How many do you have total now?

Hmmm,isn't there a museum of science and industry in Chicago? Maybe even the Ford museum in Detroit, I remember a lot of industrial exhibits there. It would be a shame to break it all up after all of the work you have put into putting it together. Even though anvils are at a premium in some areas it is sometimes good to save examples for study. How many do you have total now?

The problem with gifting most museums is that they will only accept donations with no provisions;  meaning that once they get the material, they can do anything they want with it, including selling everything.   The FISHER collection is probably the biggest in the world now.  There is almost one for every day of the year.....

But we will leave it there; enough hijacking this thread.

I have to agree with Thomas, no offence N.J.A.M but I hate to see a perfectly useable tool go unused. It could have been 100 years since that anvil has touched hot steel.

While certainly uncommon in that good a condition I wouldn't say they are all that rare in general. I've seen about 3 this year on ebay.

Mount it on a nice stump and get pounding.

That tall anvil behind it looks interesting too.

Andy

I have to agree with Thomas, no offence N.J.A.M but I hate to see a perfectly useable tool go unused. It could have been 100 years since that anvil has touched hot steel.

While certainly uncommon in that good a condition I wouldn't say they are all that rare in general. I've seen about 3 this year on ebay.

Mount it on a nice stump and get pounding.

That tall anvil behind it looks interesting too.

Andy

No offense taken.  Any one can do whatever they wish with tools they own.  I just choose to preserve the historical items I have.  Other may choose to use them.  That is a personal decision.