I Forge Iron

Still gathering tools for the shop

We'll one thing is for sure. It takes time to find good tools to get started in blacksmithing.  That and good sense to walk away from overpriced items. Which I've done often.  Anyway here are a few of my latest items.  Note: I restore everything after I get them.  The champion drill is almost completely restored.  Looks like it was hardly ever used in the first place.  The last two images are of a blacksmith shop I'm waiting for approval from a historical society board to have meetings.  Looks promising for quarterly meetings after talking with the boards president informally.  That's provided I can get enough folks interested in attending.

post-41299-0-15916900-1418045829_thumb.j

post-41299-0-39454600-1418045860_thumb.j

post-41299-0-30177300-1418045883_thumb.p

post-41299-0-35087600-1418045896_thumb.j

post-41299-0-06068700-1418046047_thumb.j

post-41299-0-71754700-1418046064_thumb.j

post-41299-0-59758100-1418046083_thumb.j

post-41299-0-68401100-1418046091_thumb.j

Well I think you are focusing on the tools and not on the craft. I started blacksmithing with a $2 hammer, a set of water pump pliers, a chunk of RR rail and a hole in the ground. I feel that time spent hammering hot steel trumps having fancy tools to do it with. It also passes the time while you are waiting for the nice tools to show up at reasonable prices.

Well I think you are focusing on the tools and not on the craft. I started blacksmithing with a $2 hammer, a set of water pump pliers, a chunk of RR rail and a hole in the ground. I feel that time spent hammering hot steel trumps having fancy tools to do it with. It also passes the time while you are waiting for the nice tools to show up at reasonable prices.

Actually, I think there is something to be said in favor of trying to collect a reasonable tool assortment before attempting to start blacksmithing.

There are, as of this AM EST 31870 members of IFI world wide, and in this group there are 1,000's of ideas of what they want to do in Blacksmithing. Some like to collect, rescue, restore, what have you original tools and keep them from the recycler. Others just want to make something, others want to and do make some very fine items that they share with us on IFI. Some are full time or in some cases very full time practitioners of the trade others of us are hobbyists doing when we can with what we have.

I do agree that in the last ten yrs. or so original tools seem to have grown in cost when offered on GL, Uncle Henrys, etc. to a level where it is wise to pass them by or leave an offer and phone number and see if they call when it doesn't sell.

All this being said we all do what we do because that is what we want to do.

There are, as of this AM EST 31870 members of IFI world wide, and in this group there are 1,000's of ideas of what they want to do in Blacksmithing. Some like to collect, rescue, restore, what have you original tools and keep them from the recycler. Others just want to make something, others want to and do make some very fine items that they share with us on IFI. Some are full time or in some cases very full time practitioners of the trade others of us are hobbyists doing when we can with what we have.

I do agree that in the last ten yrs. or so original tools seem to have grown in cost when offered on GL, Uncle Henrys, etc. to a level where it is wise to pass them by or leave an offer and phone number and see if they call when it doesn't sell.

Can't you do both ?

I was heating and shaping steel with an O/A torch for years, before realizing I wanted a Forge.

I suspect, had I been exposed to the practical application of a Solid Fuel Forge at an earlier age, I would have wanted one sooner.

My first experience with Forging, was Induction heated "slugs" being Forged in a 500 ton ACME Forge Press.

Then I kind of woprked "backwards" fgrom that point.  :P

I started before the internet was around with a copy of "The Modern Blacksmith" in one hand and the hammer/tongs in the other and so "grew up" with Weygers "Make it yourself with what you can find philosophy" I still think it's a good one.

I sold on a 74# block of steel to a "wanting to start smithing" guy who couldn't find/afford an "anvil". Once I pointed out that the anvil used for Japanese swords was very similar to the block of steel I had picked up at the scrapyard for 20 cents a pound he realized that what was holding him back was a false view of what was required for smithing. I sold it for what I paid for it. Gotta stop by the scrapyard and pick up another one next time I'm in that neighborhood.

I have a bunch of very nice fancy tools; but tend to bring a "beginner's set" to public demos to show you don't need the fancy ones to do good work. I once welded up a pattern welded billet using a claw hammer and a chunk of RR rail using charcoal sieved from old fires in the desert as the fuel...

I'm also the person who coined the term "Anvil Envy" back in earlier times on AnvilFire, (and yes I suffer from it too, Patrick's anvil at Q-S!*!*!*!)

Do I turn down good tools at a fair price? HECK NO! But I do think that time spent hammering trumps having a top of the line kit but no time spent hammering in the smithy. (In fact I have bought equipment from folks who thought that having a multi thousand dollar set up would automatically make them a great smith only to find out that PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE is required to get to Carnegie Hall and sold out to follow some other whim.)

Very nicely restored tools there. I can appreciate how people like to restore some rusty old vice or drill press into a gleaming example of its kind, just as much as others like to forge something beautiful from a lump of old wrought iron or a rusty old bolt.
Each to his own, I say.

Note I have a similar hammer at home to the two you have there; British broad arrow and WWII date; it had the original tag on the handle and read something like Hammer, boilermakers. A local supply company in Columbus OH had a crate of them buried out in their warehouse till I bought them one by one and sold them on to other smiths

Greetings Coon,

Pride of tooling and pride it your metal work go hand and hand.. You are doing a great job .. Just a note... Your portable rivet forge with the flywheel has too much weight for the internal bushings.. Just a crank handle will work best.. Keep up the great work...
Forge on and make beautiful things
Jim

Gorgeous restorations.  I have this weird fascination with old block-n-tackle sets.  Don't know why, but I just love the things and really appreciate seeing them restored.

I wonder if those ball-peen hammers are really hammers, though.  I'd be more inclined to call them top tools because of the off-center eye. They look like new and will certainly move the metal!

Old tools reworked to look sweet is awesome an it's really what you want an like with tools. Yet Thomas is very correct too, as I've seen many spend 10 of thousands on the latest tools. Thinking how hard can it be, an then finding out what most of us know. Skill doesn't happen over night regardless of any trade nor occupation in my mind at least.
Anyone can fool a fool. As the fool is only fooling himself in the end. As time, sweat, an ones blood shared with empty pockets will reveal the true love of a mans trade,,,

Enjoy what pleases you with reworking those tools an hold your head high n proudly when given a compliment about your tools.

Although, if recreating a 1800s old smith shop. I would lean towards leaving them as they were used in that era,,, Just my thoughts there. As I think it tells many stories just viewing an thinking Wow, that was how things were back then. Any tool saved from the torch n melt is a tool relived n useful in my book. Good job regardless, carry on,,,

While I prefer leaving an existing finish for the next generation to ponder, I appreciate seeing an old tool returned to like-new. Hard for me to imagine that at one time all of our stuff was new; consider what the inventory looked like in a hardware store in 1900. Not museum stuff, not patinated movie props, but brand new colorful shiny tools! 

• 1 month later...

Thanks for everyone who replied. I can say this for a fact. Every one of your comments are excellent. I would like to be moving more metal. That's not in the cards for me at this time. At 51 years on this planet I do what I please if my wife lets me. That being said I also know safe tools are those that are well maintained. Good tools maintained properly, and well organized also provide better time management and results. Ask any good mechanic or carpenter. Skill and talent are another topic.

I can say for myself that my methods have resulted in satisfactory results. Me being my own worst critic.

I don't need every type tool. I just need enough tools to do what I want. Since I am the last on the list in my home to get what I want I often find little left in the barrel. This includes time. I am patient. Plus the scarcey of everything makes it that more satisfying when I acquire them.

This springs projects will include three garden gates. As well as breaking ground on a small bank barn that will house my shop. In 2014 my wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor, our septic went bad my son got his driver license and totaled his car.  Things come in threes, right?

Tool restoration is what I can do right now and my latest is a Champion No. 200 post drill.