I Forge Iron

4 bar composite

Loneforge

Very lovely knife. I want to get to this point. My first attempt at just a normal single steel blade has been crude and full of errors to say the least. When I crack that to a reasonable point I will make some damascus hopefully.

You know when you are picking steels to use, do you pick from just knowing what steels work or do you pick from the properties (well this has Nickel in it so it will be good with plain carbon steel, etc.)?

I wonder what exactly makes or guarantees a contrast. Any one have a place I could read and learn?

I have done a pile of research and have had a lot of help from others. Choosing steels that etch differently is the key to a good contrast. I also try to use steels that are close in Heat Treat properties and forging temps. All of this is already known. 1095 and 15N20 have similar growth rates, forging temps and HT properties. So In short I have had great success with these steels, therefore I don't stray too far with my pattern welds.

Thanks a lot for the positive feedback.....and Oh... most of what was asked above can be answered by reading through knife lessons right here on IFI.