I Forge Iron

What Shop Tool Is This???

Found this pic here on our website. What is the floor vice looking thing just beyond anvil slightly to the left???

post-1-0-14502900-1412720365_thumb.jpg

I have one of these in the historical society shop. Not fastened down. The foot pedal on mine is laying on the base/floor and this isn't correct. Obviously missing an item.

One fellow informed me it is a farrier's vice use to weld clips on a horse shoe. But he also told me that plain cold water cools high carbon much slower than oil so..................

Any clip I see  on a shoe is drawn and that is what I do, not weld them on.

There is something about the website that is defunked...... I cannot post a picture like I have many many times nor can I post a link.

The picture will not transfer/load or attach to a post.

I can do is describe WHERE the picture is;

post-1-0-47562700-1412720214_thumb.jpg

Here's my 248 pound Mouse Hole on an ash stump. It's 30" into the ground, too. I get more work done this way as the hammer is pushing the hot metal not making the anvil and stump vibrate. Each hold down is a different design bent over the anvil feet. Randy

Show Me Your Anvil Stand

Page 1

Post # 13 Randy

Thanks and sorry.

yes.....a very accomplished MASTER blacksmith.

I would say, with his knowledge and years of hands-on, he knows something that we do not.

Any book I read says heavy lard/grease will cool very slowly and  water the fastest.

He is still mistaken, I do not care how long he has been doing this.  Quench speeds from the slowest to fastest are Air, then heavy oil, then light oil, then water, then Brine.  Even if he earned the Title of master blacksmith somewhere, that does not mean he knows anything about heat treating, and I have the science and testing to back my statement up.

There used to be a bladesmith up here who had a lot of folk including guys taking classes convinced he was a Master bladesmith. Not appearing anywhere in ABA records must have just been a paperwork mistake. Right?

A person can say anything they like, without credentials to rove it it's just talk.

Frosty The Lucky.

It is a caulking vice, they are handy for most blacksmith vice operations, but they were designed to forge heel caulks on horse shoe blanks before turning them into shoes. They also made jaws/inserts for bolt heading. I have a Wells Bros that is mounted in my portable shop for doing demos, they are very handy... Love mine, would love to have a set of bolt heading jaws (might have to see about making a set in my copious free time... ;-)

Caulking Vice it is. many draft horse shoes had hole on them to drive/push assorted caulks into for different needs, pavement, ice, wood lots, etc. Make a great general vice as well, see them in the north country a lot. always have wanted one but never found but one for sale and that was way too much for my wallet.

I think some of those vises had toe calk welding dies, some vee shaped for "sharp shoeing" in the wintertime. The shoes did not have holes in them except for nail holes.There were commercial calks that had a little sharp nib projecting from one end. The room-temperature nib was driven into the yellow-hot web of the shoe to hold the calk in place prior to forge welding. At a welding heat, the toe calk was placed in the die to give it a specific shape while being welded to the toe of the shoe. Heel calks were turned, not welded.

A master was sometimes just a shop owner who attached his name to the products that came out of the shop,

but as for skill level, he could be "Captain Cob Job."

No real help to this discussion, but the smith that I got my intro with had a foot pedal operated vise of larger dimension that the one pic. It was quite handy for qick operations such as twisting. Also quite handy and straightening twists by applying slight pressure on the diamond, rotate and repeat. I'd love to add one to my kit one of these days.