I Forge Iron

Broken and welded anvil?

A friend gave me this old anvil which a friend gave him and so on,... It was broken across the wast at some time and somebody welded it back together, I weld a lot but have never seen a weld like this. Its looks to me like it was gas welded by a chicken..........lol.........but not sure, I do know i have pounded on it pretty hard and its still together.. Can't make out the name other then manf.co. It weighs about 100 pounds. any ideas on the name or how it was welded......post-29322-0-15364500-1404440509_thumb.jpost-29322-0-79792700-1404440530_thumb.jpost-29322-0-42804500-1404440552_thumb.j   

haha i agree that is some " bird ----" welding

to be honest, i'd probably use a cutting disc  and cut off all that ugly weld and try and find the orginal crack... (if there is one ?)   i bet Mr bubblegum only did a surface weld and didn't gouge the piece out ..    then you could weld it up properly and make it look decent

or, you could use it till it fails...   just wear safety toe boots, unless you got some fast dancin feet

As traditionally made anvils were forge welded at the waist, and more modern ones were sometimes arc welded at the waist; weld failures are not unknown---I have the base of a PW that failed at the waist weld and then the base was used as an anvil for years as well---has a nice mushroom to it.

It's ugliness is a feature!

haha i agree that is some " bird ----" welding

to be honest, i'd probably use a cutting disc  and cut off all that ugly weld and try and find the orginal crack... (if there is one ?)   i bet Mr bubblegum only did a surface weld and didn't gouge the piece out ..    then you could weld it up properly and make it look decent

or, you could use it till it fails...   just wear safety toe boots, unless you got some fast dancin feet

Part of me agrees, part of me doesn't. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Why make more work for yourself? on the other hand it is ugly and could at least look cleaner.

I'd give it a good clean up with a wire wheel on an angle grinder and then see how it looks. If it really is bad then you can grind it and weld it.

Andy

Those chicken tracks could be an excellent example of carbon arc welds and why Mr. Miller invented an arc welder to weld with fluxed wire to replace forge and carbon arc welds.

It's only ugly, so what? It doesn't effect the function does it? If anyone asks about it make up a good story, perhaps a melange of the essences of these posts will make a good starting point.

It's not an accident Blacksmithing and Bulls#&#ing are abbreviated the same B.S.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty you really should live on a mountain top people need to travel farther to have your pearls of wisdom bestowed upon them

this whole being able to sit here in a chair in the comfort of my own home and still be able to drink deep of the wisdom of the north seems some how sacrilegious

hmm that drink deep part might just be the dinner beer talking

Edited by Bigred1o1

The bottom line is that it`s your anvil (for now, as they tend to outlive us) and you can do with it as you see fit. I personally would use it until a problem developed that made it less useful.

If and when that happened I `d pull out all the stops and bring it back to exactly what I needed and/or wanted it to be. I agree with the suggestion to keep as much of the maker`s mark as intact as possible and blend all the rest back to that mark. That`s what I try to do when I restore tools.

Thanks for all the help and wisdom....I'v done some cleaning on it and yes it's a HB. found a serial number and wire brushed out the name.  i believe it's 106156 i don't think the first letter is an I i'm pretty sure it's a 1. so i'm assuming it's a little older then me........since i had back surgery the first of June, had three vertebrate fused and two disks fixed i can't get out and do what i want to do.....so i'v been driving the wife totally nuts with hay look at this baby shes a 300 pounder  look a 250 pounder, finally she came in and looked at the computer, anvils she said, omg..........you really need to get back to work........lol.....wonder what she thought  i was looking at........lol..,  thanks you guys are great 

My wife thinks i'm nuts anyway......but oh well i have another anvil about a 200 pounder it's in storage can't wait to get it out. I checked on line with ebay and amazon for the book anvils in america.....man that's a spendy  book. I checked with our library and she is trying to find it....i'll keep looking for it sure would like to get a copy....