I Forge Iron

Forged myself a rounding hammer

Zachary

I though you guys might like to see this. I decided I needed a quality forging hammer and couldn't afford a custom made one so I decided to see if it was time I could make one. This started out as a 5" long piece of  S7 jack hammer pin an 1 3/4" in diameter off a mini excavator at work. While it's far from perfect I'm more than happy with the way it turned out. It weighs in right at 3lbs.

post-45245-0-84970100-1404353699_thumb.j

post-45245-0-58115700-1404353708_thumb.j

post-45245-0-09724400-1404353718_thumb.j

post-45245-0-53108000-1404353830_thumb.j

Sweet!  Did you heat-treat it?  I've got some mystery metal I keep saying I'm gonna turn into some hammers, but never do.  I thought about just making one and see how it stood up to hammering even if it's not hardened and tempered.

Ayup, that sure looks like a nice custom forging hammer to me. How's it work?

My only suggestion is to taper the handle the other way. If it gets larger the farther it gets from the head the easier it is to hold on to. It only needs a little taper, mine taper maybe 3/4" head to end.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've got it hardened to where a file barely cuts it. I know the handle got a little tapered without meaning to. I like them straight but this one I noticed when I was done tapered a little the wrong way but I'll see how it goes. I just finished it so I've barely had a chance to use it other than some quick testing but so far I really like it.

For heat treating I took it to non magnetic and then some as it requires 1700 and then let it air cool polished it and took it slowly to a light blue and so far it's working good. I've messed with S7 some for punches and chisels doing it this way and so far have had good results.