I Forge Iron

different hold down

Do you ever find a good use for a tool that was not intended for blacksmithing? I found this carpenter's bench grip and it just happened to fit the hardy hole of the anvil perfectly. One turn of the screw and it provides a secure anchor for many applications, better than any hold down I have made.
I found it amongst some old springs and buggy parts, so it must be old. I would like to acquire a couple more but haven't seen anything like it in the modern tool catalogues.
It has become a valued and much used part of the tool inventory.
post-50874-0-54679800-1403170523_thumb.j

I think Frank was saying that the screw-in type would be slow. As it is, this one (luckily) drops straight through the hardy hole and one quick twist of the lever and it's firm. Probably not quite as quick as the hammer-down one but not slow all the same. Iuse it mainly for punching, forming the lifting tab on bottle openers and touchmark stamping etc.

Bigfoot, could you post a picture of the chain holdfast that you use? I would like to make one. Choice is a good thing.
I imagine that you have two fairly heavy weights, one on each end. Or is one end attached to your anvil block with a large weight on the other??

eye hook on the far side of your block to attach the chain, weight on the near side, or a stirrup to put your foot through is what i have seen in action.

Motor cycle chain works very well, it's a lot more stable than link chain so the work doesn't want to roll.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yes I use a heavy cycle type chain.  Hooked to eye on the far side of the anvil block and I have a bar with a hook tooth for the near side... I could put my foot on it but the weight alone is usually sufficient.  I have the chain in place and simply lift the chain with my hammer as I slip the hot metal into place... the chain auto tightens from it's own weight and the weight of the hook toothed bar.  When I really need a strong clamping action I will also step on the hook toothed bar with one foot!

Thanks for the info on the chain hold downs. Here's one I put together for a spare anvil - I know it's a bit rough but it works really well. It's holding a rail spike here very firmly. The monster D-shackle makes a good weight.

Going to make a more refined model for the shop anvil next.

post-50874-0-68171100-1403873715_thumb.j

Thanks for the info on the chain hold downs. Here's one I put together for a spare anvil - I know it's a bit rough but it works really well. It's holding a rail spike here very firmly. The monster D-shackle makes a good weight.
Going to make a more refined model for the shop anvil next.
attachicon.gifchainhold.jpg

If it ain't broke don't fix it. Both this and the OP look good to me.

Andy

What's OP, Andy?
While this does work adequately, I'm going to make one for another anvil with a stirrup attachment. That sounds like a good idea as it allows a lot of pressure to be applied if necessary and it is also light to lift quickly with the hammer in hand.
Gotta try different things to see what works best.