I Forge Iron

Using others scaffolding

ianinsa

post-13949-0-26777500-1399402151_thumb.jpost-13949-0-08551700-1399401970_thumb.jpost-13949-0-94456200-1399402007_thumb.j

I was recently asked to quote on a project in Swaziland, the local contractor was surprised that I was not keen to use his scaffolding????

post-13949-0-80450200-1399401734_thumb.j

They don't have quite the same take on Osha

Ian

Greetings Ian,

PYA  ...  Life is too short ...   There will be other jobs..   I would not want to be the insurance carrier on that job...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

Ian: I think Jim needs to get around more, he thinks there's an insurance carrier in Swaziland, let alone on that job!

I don't know what you're complaining about though, I'm sure the contractor spent more on wood than the help. You could probably hire a few of the guys to build you a dirt ramp for not much.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty..

Been around just fine ... Ran several businesses and still do ...  Risk is risk as I see it....  LAUGH LAUGH .. Your record with trees not so good  ..  Business on my part  oh so very good...    Watch your topknot...

Jim

Uhhh? on the floor gasping for air.....

Crawled out of the woods coughing blood with a broken neck, two skull fractures, severe TBI, broken ribs, punctured lung, a crushed foot and  broken ankle. The flight medic said I flat lined a couple times on the flight to Anchorage Regional Hospital's brand new head trauma unit, I was their second customer. I don't remember a thing from just before I started cutting the tree and about 3-4 weeks after. I wasn't surprised to wake up in a hospital though. I don't quite get that, other than maybe all of me wasn't somewhere else.

I'm living proof prayer works, even if you're agnostic. Guys here were a huge block praying for me and lending Deb the strength she needed to get me through it. She calls you lugs her "Hairy faced angels."

I'm honored and privileged to be ribbed as the gang wants. Nothing lets a guy know he's ALIVE like having people poking fun and making jokes.

It's also the reason for this web handle.

Frosty The Lucky.

And Frosty, I have considered it a privilege to be addressed by You - I am certainly among those happy that you came out Alive - that outcome being wholly incomprehensible to me, but, there it is........

Robert Taylor

ok maybe some members here may shave a bit.  A few of us kept Frosty family encouraged, as many of us called the hopsital to talk to him.  we knew he was nearly a vegitable at the time, but as medic, I also know coma patients often tell of hearing people and can repeat some conversations in their presence after the wake up, I happened to my father a few times.

So we called and ended up talking to members of his family a while, they held the phone to Frosty ear and we got to tell him things.  Maybe he wont remember, but it can not hurt.   I had a nice talk with his sister and she told me the family and hospital staff were amazed at how many of us took the time to call Alaska to check on him.  So maybe we are weird, but we are a large family here, weird or not.  Perhaps Frosty only thought we were just waiting to divide up his smithy tools ;)

Mr Sells, your anecdote is just further proof of what I have already discovered about this Group - <insert fitting homage here> - I am at a loss for words.

Ianinsa, I think the scaffold art you have shared with us has stirred up deeeep primal emotions - I shudder to think of what walking on it would do for me - Ahhhh, but some art is for viewing only, no?

Edited by Anachronist58

Hey he's killed hundreds if not thousands of those Sons of Birches and *burned* *their* *dismembered* *bodies*; of course they put out a hit on him!

As for liability: a lot of countries don't have those laws; wear out and damage your employees and so what?  Plenty more where they came from!

Frosty, we only take the p.. out of you cause you make it so easy!!!  ;) You are a good great man my friend .

Back on subject, I often feel sorry for the workers who are obliged to work where they are exposed to great risk in order to provide the next meager meal for their loved ones... it would of course help if they did not have quite so many loved ones though.

The project BTW. Is a mosque in Mbabane and they were thinking of adding a copper dome.

Ian

Aw shucks guys go back to taking the xxxx at me will ya? I am seriously and deeply humbled by how many people came to our aid. The IFI gang called so often the hospital staff thought . . . I don't know what, smark alec remark failing to come to mind.

You bet I invite folk to rib me, how else you going to know people like you? When I get formally polite it's because I don't like, trust or whatever someone.

Here's a head scratcher for you, the family Steve talks about are inlaws. Sister inlaw and son inlaw just caught flights here and spent more time than they should've sitting next to the bed or comforting and bucking Deb up. How's that for weird, my inlaws actually like me. That's a good thing, I like them, good people all.

While I was down and Deb was living at a friend's in Anchorage a friend in the goat community fostered our herd and Great Pyrenees Mountain Dog, LIbby. They just came over, loaded them up and took them home till we could take care of them.

The church congregation took care of the house, yard and critters. Cats and house dogs got fed, watered, and walked. Members took turns sitting with me and talking almost 24/7. Deb said people she didn't know and I don't think I know visited. Wood got cut and stacked. Nobody asked, they just came and did.

I don't know if you can imagine what it's like to have so many people care about you, it puts a lot of pressure on a guy to live up to that sort of thing. something that does bother me though is all the good folk telling me how happy they are I'm still around, get better, etc. etc. it starts wearing on a guy.

Now if you'll just go back to giving me friendly crap and such, I won't get all maudlin and soppy.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty,

You qualify..   I only give a little zap to those I care about others are just passing faces and acquaintances .   As you probably guessed I will always have your back and all you have to do is ask..   That's a privilege that I have from being an old grump and mentor..   Keep your powder dry..   Yep I can skin griz.  

Jim

Most of the smithing groups I have been a part of you could tell a person's status by the heckling they received.

Folks that were new or not liked very well had a very polite audience.  Folks with long tenure and were considered friends would get it with both barrels---and generally could catch it and throw it back sometimes faster than it came!