I Forge Iron

Here's another - Neck Knife!

kayakersteve

This one is made with 1095, stainless pins, brass ferrule and snakewood scales.  Had a lot of fun making this little knife.  Holds a great edge!  I still cant get a good and even stamp - Any ideas with this?  Doing it freehand with a CMT stamp.  Maybe I will have to adapt it to my arbor press to keep it level as I stamp??

Still thinking I may thin out scales some more - just looks a little too fat to me.

post-27724-0-46300000-1396702900_thumb.j

post-27724-0-44739800-1396702922_thumb.j

post-27724-0-02039200-1396702943_thumb.j

post-27724-0-96239900-1396702963_thumb.j

post-27724-0-73783900-1396702983_thumb.j

post-27724-0-17226400-1396703000_thumb.j

post-27724-0-89398400-1396703019_thumb.j

post-27724-0-74413700-1396703036_thumb.j

Your designs are good , However I would say slow down and make quality over quanity .... That said look at the Knife making threads and pack a lunch you can stand for a quite a bit more sanding on the blade and fit and finish . Do Not get discouarged just slow down a bit and and take your time Brother .

Not to rain on the parade, but being that I think I'm a fairly logical person, I cannot see one single use for a neck knife. What good is a knife hanging around your neck? Self protection? I think not. It could easily be pulled out and used against you. It's dangling in front of you and certainly a safety factor has to come into play.

So, help me out here...what's with it? Is it just a trend? Is it just because it looks cool and everyone is doing it?

John

Not to rain on the parade, but being that I think I'm a fairly logical person, I cannot see one single use for a neck knife. What good is a knife hanging around your neck? Self protection? I think not. It could easily be pulled out and used against you. It's dangling in front of you and certainly a safety factor has to come into play.
So, help me out here...what's with it? Is it just a trend? Is it just because it looks cool and everyone is doing it?
John

Properly worn, it is under your shirt. It is a matter of it being a less likely place the average troublemaker you may encounter is going to expect a tool such as one of these to be.

My understanding was that they originated along with the muzzle loading era. i,e. A small knife easily accessed for cutting wadding patches. Albeit most of the ones I have seen are small friction folders. I like the shape of this one tho. Little sheathe with a neck lanyard, Yeah, cute li'l bugger :)

I wear one daily its easy to access from under my shirt and really nice when rolling on the ground working under cars and what not, as it doesn't get caught or fall out of your pocket without you knowing.  the reason I like it is more of a survival knife if something happened to my other knife I would at least have something, plus 2 pieces of paracord 10 feet apiece.

I have built a few neck knives and just like the looks.  As for using a neck knife, I would take one as a back up for hiking, and camping.  I love to make small knives, most of them are easier to use.   I also like weird shapes and designs, I like to keep it fun.