I Forge Iron

1920 205lb Fisher

I came across a 205 pound fisher anvil. The face is in great shape. I dont know about rebound but I will test it before buying it. Any info on the brand as compared to other would be great. I have read a little in the anvil reviews. It sounds like they dont ring like other anvils do. Any other pitfalls to look out for? Maybe a ball park of what I should pay? I will post pics from the ad. Thanks for any and all help. Thanks Anthony

post-51907-0-53783400-1396151325_thumb.j

post-51907-0-96167100-1396151331_thumb.j

I will have to re-read that. And my math is terrible it priced at 3 at a pound. I will still go look and see if there is any negotiating room. It not a far drive for me so only a little time lost if i cant strike a deal. Thanks for the input and i will post back if it follows me home. Thanks Anthony

$3/lb and is been listed for a while now, which means you might have some negotiating room.
Sure cheaper deals at QS, but I didn't see many that were in that nice a shape at QS. If I were buying a really nice anvil to use for a lifetime I don't think the price is outrageous, especially if green cash can move the price.

What's the cost of actually getting to quadstate?  Add that to the cost of actually buying an anvil of similar quality, if one's available.

I don't fret a bit on "high price" anvils as long as they are in great condition.  A new anvil will cost you at least $5/lb, so any decent anvil that you get for less than that is a good deal.  The more wear on the anvil, the lower the price should be, but your pics seem to show a very neat and clean anvil that's hardly been used.

My "work" anvil is a Hay Budden. 

My fine work anvil is a Fisher in mint condition.

Two of the best anvils ever made IMHO. 

I keep the Fisher for fine work since it is small, 90 pounds and pristine (I actually carry into my bedroom when not in use, I treasure it that much. A 200 pound Fisher makes me drool like a 400 pound Hay Budden.  The fact that they don't ring is a good thing. 

Speaking of 400 pound HBs, I was checking out an ornamental shop today, and I spot a monster and ask the owner if I can take a look. I get over to it and there is some floozy jig welded to it. I was shocked. The guy must have seen the look on my face or maybe it was when I said "someone should be fired for this. He wrenched the plate off with his bare hands. 

Other than the weld divits it was in excellent condition. Hopefully I got through to him a little.