I Forge Iron

Possible uses for this

coldironkilz

door knocker was the first thing that leapt to mind for me too. 

you could also utilize it as a base for just about anything that would benefit from a wide flat heavy base (handle holder, lamp etc)

put it up on an angle and build it into a wine bottle holder

work a hook into it somehow and make it a wall mount for the hook

stick a mirror into it and mount it on a wall, or well/build in a handle and make it handheld.

Let's see now; picture frame, trivet, door knocker, base for anything else, the beginnings of a wine bottle holder, wall mount for a hook, mirror frame, ring towel holder. Wow! I'll get started right away. Thank you for so many great ideas.

Just thought of something else interesting to do with that. Make a door handle on a hinge (kinda like the door knocker but no knock plate) so the shoe would sit flush until you grab and pull. Then it swings back flat again when not in use....I think about doors alot huh? lol.

-Crazy Ivan

Door knocker was the first thing came to my mind too. Folding door handles is a good idea as would be folding lift handles like on a tool box, trunk or tack box. Wind chimes could be popular too.

Frosty The Lucky.

If you made it so the shoe rotates in the ring, it would be a neat wind catcher.

Definitely thought it was the beginning of a knocker, but I like the idea of a collapsing handle, too.  With a thinner or thicker surround, you could really change the look and function.

Make up a dozen or so and weld them together to make the ring around a glass-topped coffee table.

Here ya go, Cold.  I had to spend about an hour on the internet hunting down images that kinda/sorta illustrate what I was trying to say.  

If you were to use your shoe/ring combo similar to how they did this table, it would be far more elegant.  Depending on how you weld the rings, you could make the table "apron" to fit a square or bow-front table.  You could just use them for accents at the legs or go around the perimeter.

img_handforgedIronTablesF.jpg

Or you could do a horizontal application that really highlighted your work.  I could definitely see your shoe/ring combo inside a larger ring, maybe with a few small scrolls to fill the voids.......

F886-1.jpg

If you are doing door knockers, you can use 2 of them as handles on equestrian themed wooden chests, another on top as a center piece, one on the front, as an estucheon(Key hole guard thingy) cut to surround the key hole.. volia!

VaughnT, Thanks for all your effort, I have a "much" better brain picture now. I decided to go with the door knocker first as it got the most mention. I don't have a product yet, still working out some execution issues. I am using the shoe as the base and the twisted loop as the knocker. I got it about half finished this afternoon. I may have some time this weekend to work on it more, but I need to separate the calves and the bull from the pregnant cows this weekend, so I'm not sure. In any event I will post pic's when I have the thing ready. I like the table idea, I'll ponder that one, !@#$%^

Thanks Adam, thanks Caladin.

Well I got the door knocker finished earlier than expected. I like the over all design, the execution was interesting; keeping things balanced. I ran into problems when I failed to drill the holes for the tenons in exactly the same position on opposite tabs. They are only off a fraction but that's enough to cause a slight miss alignment of the knocker, which may not be noticeable in these images. Next I think I will tackle the picture frame, I had a thunk this morning.

post-29623-0-83925700-1394752350_thumb.j

post-29623-0-85017800-1394752370_thumb.j

post-29623-0-27722100-1394752424_thumb.j

post-29623-0-99138400-1394752454_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...