I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing as a way of meeting people

I was at the potluck after cowboy church and I was introduced to a lady of some years who was a friend of another member.  It was mentioned that I was a blacksmith and she told me her Father was a blacksmith---he had served an apprenticeship in Wales and then another in England and had emigrated to the US in 1929 and worked as a smith here as well.

Thinking about this I have realized all the really great people I have met through smithing--- like: Isaac Doss in NW AR  who told me tales of when the interstate was a dirt road and he delivered his smithing work by horse drawn wagon.

A gentleman in Columbus OH who had been an orthopedic smith at the local hospital during WWII

A smith at an "open air museum" in Germany who had been a POW in the USA during WWII

A lady who forged labryses for the radical feminist movement.

Emmert Studebaker; a true gentleman in the old style.

The old farrier who sold me my first champion powerhammer---when I tracked him down he didn't want to sell but called me back a week later saying that "His wife told him he had been kicked in the head by 1 too many horses and he was retired now!---Come and get the hammer!"

The large number of smiths I've met at Quad-State and shot the breeze with till it had more holes than a mile of fishnet and hip waders were leaking over the tops...

So many people I would never have met; but who enriched my life over the years beyond just smithing stuff.

I have to agree that a great precentage of people I've met through blacksmithing are the most helpful, friendly, and encouaging.  I know there are smiths out there who keep 'trade serects' and won't tell you anything, but I have yet to meet one.

my dad wanted to get into smithing so i went along to spend time with him (not in great health,) i have to say i was totally not excited.  my mental image was a bunch of dudes looking like hagrid (from harry potter y'all) shoeing horses and gnawing on giant turkey legs (no offense to anyone who resembles that remark intended.)  I was surprised to find a thriving community of diverse artists who are not only willing but generally thrilled to share what they have learned!  quickly smithing has taken over my arts and crafts life.  now guild meetings have become my favorite day of the month.  it's like a group of painters who work in all different styles getting together and sharing methods and secrets.

and i have yet to find a better way to start a conversation than to mention blacksmithing...

Good topic. I've bumped into the sort of people Thomas talked about...also privileged to have met some big names probably because of my age: Tom Bredlow; Dorothy Stiegler; Dimitri Gerakaris; Alex Bealer; Francis Whitaker; Edward Martin; Uri Hofi; Tsur Sadan; Ivan Bailey; Tom Clark; Joe Volz; Christoph Friedrich, etc. In farriery, Danny Ward; Scott Simpson; and Chris Gregory.

I have spent many days in my shop working alone, but there have been times when folks drop by and the scene turns into a "spit and whittle club." Very enjoyable.

I am at the beginning of this chapter in my life. I am just getting hear some of those stories and all the people I have met so far have all been fantastic people. The local blacksmith group did not even hesitate to accept me in and have done nothing but support me up to this point. Jerry Whitley from our guild gave me his spot in the upcoming Mark Aspery class at the end of this month and I have been truly humbled by his kindness. All of the people in our guild here are truly amazing. I am having the time of my life right now and so are the kids. They talk about the forge to people more than I do. Just want to say huge thank you to everyone on here and in the real world that think computers are the debil. 

The mix of meeting new people and working alone really makes it for me.

I still find it a little strange that a large group of my best friends are internet friends, that is real friends that I have met through the internet.

It has made me quite the globe trotter.......and I am grateful for it.

I've never met a smith or group of blacksmiths I didn't like. Early on I did meet a couple guys who didn't even want me looking at things they had on sale, they didn't want me to steal their secrets. Those however, have been a scant minority, very few and I think guys who weren't good enough at the craft to feel secure. Hard to tell but I did take a look at the products and just because made versions.

And that, I think is my story, I've never watched someone forge or looked at forged work and not learned something. I don't know what it is but I enjoy few things about the craft like showing folk what I know. Seems I'm not the only one likes to show what they know either.

Frosty The Lucky.

Greetings All,

My life too has been enriched by the blacksmith community..  As I write I feel friendship with many great folks on IFI even though I have never met them one on one...   This past year I had a blast at SOFA putting faces to a few and am looking forward to meeting others...   I am convinced that it must have something to do with the high iron content in our blood..  Its magnetic and we all stick together..  I wish you all well..

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim