I Forge Iron

Fossil Stand

Double Y

This is a stand for a fossil.  The fossil looks like a large snail shell, but flatter...I'm not a paleontologist!

This is made from 3/4 bar.  I slit and drifted the holes by hand and forged the tenons on the power hammer.

I need to correct a slight rotation issue on the front cross bar and apply a finish.  

John

post-5371-0-45301800-1391806830_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-20840100-1391806836_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-22630400-1391806840_thumb.jp

post-5371-0-70539800-1391806844_thumb.jp

Iron looks good but where in the HECK is a pic of the fossil?! Flattened snail shell-like may be an amonite. No I'm not a paleontologist but I never got over a love for dinosaurs and read a LOT. <grin>

Now post that PIC!

Frosty The Lucky.

Beammeup - that is close to what it looks like.

I took measurements of the fossil and then went to work.  The clients are gone for the winter and I will deliver when they get back this spring...if spring will ever come back to Big Sky Country.  When they get back I will take a picture of the two together.

Thanks for the comments.

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My client called last week to say he would be in town for a few days following The Russell auction in Great Falls.  The spend their summers in Montana and their winters in New York.

I delivered the fossil stand yesterday and the client likes it.  Those who thought the fossil was an ammonite are correct.

The client has been a great one for me.  They are collectors on Montana history artifacts and my next job for them will be displays for tintypes and old photos.  Supper small and delicate items that need to be displayed to show both sides.  That will be an interesting project!

John

post-5371-0-54948600-1395753737_thumb.jp