I Forge Iron

a couple of scrappy monotremes

Australia has two monotremes (egg laying mammals) - the echidna and the platypus. Here are my junk sculptures of this Aussie pair:
The echidna is built on a car muffler. The platypus is, well, anything I could find, starting with a small axehead (widened and punched in the forge) and a couple of ball bearings.

post-50874-0-66631100-1391329511_thumb.jpost-50874-0-20177400-1391329564_thumb.j

Man I REALLY like how you view the world. Very cool pieces, have you started selling your work? It's sure marketable, just get into public view and you'll start getting orders. It's just too attractively cool not to sell.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks Frosty,
Yeah, have sold quite a few of this type of thing. Trouble is each one is different, and when I finish making one I want to keep it. Our place is full of these sculptures.
There's an art gallery in our town which sells my stuff and they always want more. The pieces do take a fair bit of time - a constant process of problem solving, fitting just the right piece etc. It's a bit hard to keep up to the demand.
And how do you price something like that? You can't charge by the hours of work, and people think that because it's made of junk it has to be cheap. You can't sell creativity.
I've sold a few wall frogs like the one below. They are quite popular here in the tropics where we often have real tree frogs crawling up the wall.
post-50874-0-51204500-1391379804_thumb.j

I disagree Ausfire, you can sell creativity. After all what is art in the end? What is the value of the canvas, and paints on the Mona Lisa, certainly not the millions it would fetch at auction. Art is one of those subjects that is tough to market because it goes beyond the cost of materials, and labor. There is a thread on here about pricing your work. The main thing is figuring out what the perceived value is in the area that you are selling in.

Con Artist (Mark Kostabi), and Exit through the gift shop (Banksy) are 2 movies that I believe any artist that sells needs to watch.

As to it being junk, and not worth much. I have seen a lot of scrap art,very little good, and tons of ho hum. The really good pieces are easy to spot, and they command appropriate pricing.

I would suggest that you rethink your approach to marketing these sculptures.

Fine job !
That definitely takes some talent and an eye for detail ,like the platypus,to
assemble all the pieces together and still maintain a smooth and rounded appearance.

There is a fellow on another forum that does similar work and he can't build them
fast enough for all the orders he has.He'll post progress pics of the build on his
Facebook page ,kinda interesting to follow.

I disagree Ausfire, you can sell creativity.

Yes. I take your point. I guess I worded that wrongly. It's just that some people see the piece is made of junk and think it's easy, disregarding the creativity involved.

you have all the interesting creatures there, all we have here are haggis, strange things that have long legs on one side and short legs on the other for walking round hills in Scotland.

done any Drop bears for the tourists?

Drop bears! Now there's a thing! That would get the tourists in. Perhaps a Bunyip or two as well!