I Forge Iron

Problem cutting design in touchmark

arkie

I was attempting to make a touchmark the other day.  The material I used was from a coil spring that I straightened out.  Diameter of the resulting rod was about 3/8".

I heated it above critical temperature and cooled it in a bed of ashes to normalize it as much as possible and remove any hardening if any.  Afterwards, a file would not scratch it and when I tried to carve my pattern in the end with a Dremel tool and tiny carbide burr, the burr would do nothing but skate across the surface.

What would be the best way now to try to carve or engrave my touchmark in the end....diamond point burr or what???

Did you remove all the scale from the steel? Scale the develops from heating steel is incredibly hard. You could grind the tool and reveal clean steel or you can pickle the steel in a light acid.

Also if you do not know what grade steel you started with any type of heat treating can be a mystery

The exterior of the spring steel was wire brushed from the forge to remove scale, an end was cut off flat with a 1/16" cut off wheel on an angle grinder, then the end polished gently with a flap disk.  From what I have read and seen, spring steel from coil springs is commonly used to make touchmarks.

Hello there, It being coil spring it tends to be very bullet proof in terms of sloppy ( blacksmithy) heat treating. I'd go ahead and give it a soaking heat at about a low yellow / high orange, bury it in ashes and start all over again. Me thinks you'll be surprised at the difference. Take care, Matt

After straightening out the coil spring, I did give it a slow, soaking heat (about 10 min. since it was only 3/8" thick) just above critical temp (checked with magnet) then put it in ashes until cool to the touch (not warmed ashes).  As for cutting off the tip, I did it quickly and in short steps...the tip never changed to any color like straw or blue...polishing with the flap disk was done in about 1 second bursts, not hot to the touch.

Stephen,  I think using water with the carbide burr would not be effective with a Dremel; it would immediately spin off any water from the contact area.  Were you meaning use water with a diamond burr?  Seems like it would spin off any water as well.

I'll try going back and repeating annealing it by soaking above critical temp and using ashes and see if that improves it.  Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.

Use a nice thick "helper bar" heated to the same temperature and remember to bury both completely in the ashes---you want it to take *hours* to cool down to ambient temperature to *anneal* it.  Normalization is cooling from temp in still air...

Thomas, 

If the next reheat and re-anneal doesn't work, I'll certainly try the helper bar; thanks for the pointer.  That should keep the temp up for a slow cooling period.  The first time with ashes (very fine ashes at that) it seemed like the bar cooled in a matter of an hour or two, certainly not the longer time you indicated.  Back to the "grind stone" as they say...

I have made several and although some water will spin away the surface tension will keep enough water holding onto the piece and holding the shavings.  The diamond bits are the only ones of quite a few bits I have tried that worked well enough to use.  You can also submerge the punch under water and then use the bit just under the water.  Harder to see what your doing though.  I have annealed car/truck/other springs and found that although I could file it down only abrasive rotary bits worked on them in the annealed state I was able to get them in the ash with several large bars heated and sunk in first sorounding the ash that the punch blank then went into.  Try a bad file on it and see if you can do anything to it.  If not then probably not annealed.  Lol carbide burs.  I tried one once just for giggles on my annealed punch blank for my first one and wore a nice flat spot in it even though I could file the blank.  Good luck.

Stephen,

If the next annealing doesn't work, using hot steel in the ashes, I am going to try a diamond burr.

Ridgeway,

Right now I only have the 3/8" diameter (straightened) springs and one large truck spring, about 3/4" diameter (straightened).  Easier right now with the smaller one, might give the truck spring a try on the next go-round.  I can always taper the business end of the touchmark to the size I need.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

If the anealling route does not work you might try over tempering, this seems to be the easiest option for me with H-13. Hard to know what you have with found steels.

Yeah, I agree.  I wish I knew what this particular steel is.  I can always use an old punch, heat treat, dress the tip then engrave.

Your  steel is hardened...It must be annealed.....trying wot did not work is not likely to change anything. small diameter..and I expect short will not lose its heat slowly like i needs to. Thomas gave you a reat tip..put something in to hold heat.. for instance if you run your hand down into the ashes carefully after 8 hours and you cannot feel heat as you get near the metal,,it cooled too fast...

On an edge a file will cut right through any scale and then into the metal,,,if not steel has not been annealed.

A carbide bur that dulls fast is a piece of garbage..I have used some of my burs for decades for all kinds of steels and they cut fine...they were not cheap.

Soak times in the charrts..if we know wot the steel is..are usually based on one inch think stock. This small diameter rod will not need to stay at temp long at all. A magnet will tell proper temp..that sucks heat out of the steel,,put it back in heat until it is same color as first time and then straight into the ashes..I prefer vermiculite but dry ashes should work...if they have been in high humidty area they may quench,,,and then they would not act like dry ashes.

Soak time is almost immaterial for 3/8" round bar. 

Thomas nailed it, it isn't close to being annealed because it doesn't have nearly enough mass to anneal itself. It is cooling MUCH too quickly. 

A good sized bar is likely your best option like Thomas said. A heat treating oven, a potter's kiln, a good woodstove burning a big load of hot coals. 

Plus like I said, some alloys are still pretty hard fully annealed. 

I liked the advice of some of you to put a heater bar(s) in the ash along with the rod to keep the heat up.  I fully agree that it probably cooled MUCH too fast.  Rich, I checked the non-mag color with a magnet, then quickly put it back into the fire to bring it back up to that color before putting in the ash and will repeat that process when I use the heater bar(s) to retard cooling.

It may be a couple of days or more before I can get back to forging.  My forge is outside my shop surrounded by woods; we have a severe dry spell with high winds and burn bans all over the place at this time.  No rain in the forecast for a few days.  Not wanting to have a fire going in the forge with those conditions....frustrating!!