I Forge Iron

How cold?

Mid 30's here, too warm. The roads are a muddy mess and snow keeps sliding off the roof making the dogs go nuts alerting us to the monsters outside.

Yeah I know, about the same as Peters Creek. What can I say?

Frosty The Lucky.

Got to sleep in a bit this AM,,,, :wub: ....Yesterday at -14 the wife's car wouldn't start so I had to get up and jump it before she could head out to work...... <_< but today at +11 it fired right up, maybe that old battery will last till spring...... B)

Better not risk it....... :mellow:

Up here in northern Wisconsin it was -30f this morning at noon it is -12F, yesterday -34F with a high of -21F. It has been mostly below zero since November 20th here and all of us that heat with wood have burned about twice as much wood as normal. I don't even waste my time in the shop when the high temp is below zero, though I was welding some broken equipment for my neighbor farmer yesterday miserable conditions for welding. I've lived in this climate my whole life, Maine, then 25 years in Alaska now here, I just put on my coveralls and put my head down and work. I used to work some on commercial boats in Maine and Alaska, to me that is the coldest on the deck of a boat in the wind and spray.

Up here in northern Wisconsin it was -30f this morning at noon it is -12F, yesterday -34F with a high of -21F.

Yup, my parents live on the north end of the Flambeau Flowage just a stones throw from you.

My dad won't venture to his shop either.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought about working tomorrow outside at the forge, wind chill of -15. 

When I say I thought, I mean as quick a thought as ever can come through your mind came through, and left for warmer climates! 

Too cold!!!!

But, I hear its a record breaking kind of warm in the land of Australia!

Yes, indeed, sir. The heat makes forging as uncomfortable for us as the cold makes it for you. Much sweat on the anvil. Touching 50 degrees C in places. That's about 120 in your money. They are frying eggs on the road in Birdsville, Qld.

Ausfire

I'll send you some cold if you'll send back some Heat!  Light snow and 27 degrees F at the moment in Central Vermont.  Headed down to the single digits for the week.  I read were you guys were getting record heat.  Enjoy it as best you can.

we can send you plenty of rain for central and northern australia if you want we have a surplus here

tid,

Send all you can. Heat, drought and bushfires here. (Makes it easy to collect charcoal for my forge, but that's the only plus!) Pity we can't even things out a bit ... we'll trade some heat for your rain.

My demos have been reduced to mornings only. By midday you risk all sorts of heat stress and no-one ventures out to look anyway.

We had 38deg C here yesterday just a bit too hot! And last night enough rail to dirty the car!
ian

Ian,

I notice Kyalami is the same latitude (about 26 south) as Birdsville - the hottest town in Queensland. Uncomfortable as the heat is, I think I would prefer it to the big freeze being experienced by our northern hemisphere friends. :P