I Forge Iron

brick propane burner, help

joreve

Way too much cubic for the size of the burner, also hard firebrick that absorb a lot of heat, try making one with soft insulation firebrick and put a 3/4 front door on as well to trap more heat in the forge.  Also look into building a simple propane burner to run off a 5 gallon propane tank...

Please give some thought that if we had an inkling of where you were at we might be able to suggest a place to get materials.  As it is all I can say is that you can get everything you need over yonder!

Materials suitable for propane forges can sometimes be found at pottery supply companies or places that repair and install boilers for heating buildings.

Happy New Year,

It is good to try things. That is how you prove what does not work. This is a subject that gets asked over & over by people who don't read what is available in the history.

Cut to the chase, The burner is wrong/too small. You can not make that burner work with that size forge.

Neil

Thanks for all the comments, I love constructive commments and criticism. I'm in Santa Barbara, California. I have been avidly reading all the threads and information I can get my hands on. Unfortunately I have been having such a hard time getting all the supplies. I was trained by two men in Chicago at a facility called firearts.org so I am familiar with metal working and the forges. I'm still very much a rookie though. I love experimenting and am slowing gonna get my forge up to party, but materials ya know

Happy New Year,

You can use the fire-box you have, it will take a while to come up to temperature. I have used fire-brick forges for years. The high temperature brick is refractory, it reflects the heat back into the fire-pot. High temperature bricks are soft and break easily, they need other outside support to live a long time. Please focus on another burner. There are many designs that work or you can buy. Frosty has a simple design that works.

You need a larger volume burner than what you have. You could use that burner for a one or two brick forge.

Neil

I would take the red bricks at the front of the forge out of the mix. Unless I am mistaken, they are building material, not refractory bricks and can absorb moisture. When it heats up, water expands exponentially and the brick can spall at best; explode at worst

Bout time somebody else from SB surfaced! :) welcome aboard! you shouldn't have too much difficulty getting stuff shipped in unless you are really shoestringged, at one time I priced out firebricks from home depot, lowes and amazon and if memory serves they were fairly close in total price but varied widely in actual cost versus shipping. Look up laguna clay out of los Angeles and high temp tools online. If you want to split an order of brick or a roll of kaowoolto take advantage of bulk rates feel free to PM me, might be the kick in the pants I need to commit to a design and get a fire lit at my place finally!

If you'll put your general location in the header you'll be surprised at how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance.

If you'll pull up a comfy chair, pack a lunch and something to drink you can spend many productive hours reading just the gas forge section of IFI. Everything you've asked has been answered many times, even as to suppliers in your neighborhood. I grew up in the San Fernando Valley and saying you can't find something, ANYTHING close is saying you haven't looked. The Yellow Pages will put you in voice contact with folk who either have what you need or know who does.

My home made burners will melt the 3,000f hard firebrick in my forge if I run it very long. If you look you'll find the concept drawings and instructions here.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm in a bad mood, I'm not but it gets really old to have someone sign up and start asking questions that have been answered a zillion times. WE get that a lot, just like kids who contact me wanting to learn to be a blacksmith but never come by or only come by maybe once a month for a couple few hours.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks frosty. I appreciate the feed back even if you have answered many times before. I was eager to show what I slapped together. I actually use the forge shown almost everyday. It gets steel past critical temp and I mostly work with small items. I have a hard time trying to forge weld but I figure I'm not getting enough heat due to the material of my brick. I have found places to order from and even places to visit. As far as knowning any one in my area I'd love to meet with and talk with other locals. I don't really have a car but I will do my best to arrange something

Thanks frosty. I appreciate the feed back even if you have answered many times before. I was eager to show what I slapped together. I actually use the forge shown almost everyday. It gets steel past critical temp and I mostly work with small items. I have a hard time trying to forge weld but I figure I'm not getting enough heat due to the material of my brick. I have found places to order from and even places to visit. As far as knowning any one in my area I'd love to meet with and talk with other locals. I don't really have a car but I will do my best to arrange something