I Forge Iron

How I do my openers...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That color is very nicely done as well. (I didn't even notice the blurry frog)
You should add how you do that to a video as well.

(I love videos, I've always learned much easier by seeing something done than reading it!)

Wow. Lots of discussion to digest here. I think I'll go with the punch as is, keeping it cool, and see what happens. I'll make another out of some of that hexagon drill steel with more mass and compare what gives. As I think Vaughn said on another thread - the proof of the pudding is in the eating.
Thanks for all the information.

Edit: Come to think of it - the mass of that tyre iron may be a bit light on. In retrospect perhaps I should have turned it into a bottle opener - with Michelin stamped on it, it would be a good gift for a tyre shop worker. I'll go look for another one.

Oh M A N I have GOT to stay more on top of things. I missed a wonderful chance to pass a load on Jim about hardening and tempering key rings.  <sigh>

ON a serious note, I'm loving this thread, it's filled with more good solid marketable information than comes in an economics book.

Frosty The Lucky.

On another note, I've found that drilling my lanyard hole on the 1018 steel openers is fairly easy. When I do the same drilling in the wrought iron openers it is quite variable. Very easy going, then a hard layer, then easy again, then hard, etc...

The punch I made from the tyre iron shown earlier in this thread was a bit of a disappointment. I think it may have had too much of a surface area and not enough mass to punch the bottle opener starting slot efficiently.
So I have created another which may work better. This one has much more mass and is better to grip. I also made the slot a bit smaller.
I found quite a few of these tools shaped like this. I don't know what they are. I just trimmed up the end to the shape I wanted - very little alteration required. The flat part seems to have one edge slightly thicker than the other.
post-50874-0-78480600-1402654882_thumb.j

Ausfire, looks like you have converted  a cape chisel. Cape chisels are used for making narrow slots, holes and the like in cold metal.

I like the look of it. I think I will go hunting for one in my garage this weekend and make my own. Thanks mate.  

Thanks Adam. How's life in The Gong? I've never heard of a cape chisel, but I can see how they would be useful in the way you describe. I found a whole bunch of them in various forms so they should be good steel for punches.

It got too cool, and I wasn't happy with the depth of the stamp.
Extremely hard to get it perfectly lined up on the second try with that much stamp surface area and intricate detail, and you end up with a double stamp, a blurry frog.
More basic stamps without so much detail wouldn't have as hard of a time for re-stamping.

This must be an engineer thing because I too learned this the hard way with our touchmark......I've finally accepted the first try is what it is......

Great work by the way, I really like the design.

• 2 months later...

Stefflus,
Funny you mention that, I was just talking with someone this past weekend about that very subject. I'm going to try that very soon.

My stamp was done by CMT, they did a great job. I get the best stamping (to my liking) with this stamp at a nice red temp and a good centered whack. To much into orange and it starts losing some nice definition, but too dark a red color and the stamp doesn't get deep enough for me.