I Forge Iron

My friend, Graphite

A local office building upgraded the old human operated elevator to a new fangled push button operator. I got a bagful of these obsolete open faced graphite electrical contacts that were used to slap against a powersource and apparently, make the car go up and down. I put one in the gas forge one day to see what would happen. After 2 hours, it was happy as could be, with no degradation. I started researching a bit, and found the melting point of this stuff could be as high as 3850C..  

Last week, a guy came into the shop with a cast iron wood stove door. Grandpa had stumbled while opening the door, and ripped the upper hinge pocket off the poorly designed door. It had a bunch of curves and radii and would have been problematic to locate the bore once I built up the broken piece. The door still had part of the hole remaining. I took one of these graphite contacts and lathed it down to what size the hole needed to be, and stuck it in the broken half a hole. I preheated the cast iron a bit, and TIG'ed around the graphite blank with 316SS rod. It was amazing to see the weld bead just lay there on top of the carbon negative.  I filled a good lump of rod in the broken spot, post heated a while, and drilled out the graphite with a drill bit..The guy called back a couple days later, happy and warm. 

You WELDED graphite to cast iron? Those brushes couldn't've been straight graphite or it wouldn't've even looked like it stuck let alone welded.

Of course I'd be a multiple PHD if I learned enough from all my mistakes, being wrong is a way of life for me. I'll be reading to see what's going on.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, I used graphite as a 'negative' and welded around it, leaving a precise hole.

That makes sense. Like a resist etching or a chill plate  to control weld bead. Excellent a new trick to add to my old mental tool kit. Thank you.

Frosty The Lucky.

I used to do the same thing to fix old cast iron gearboxes when I worked as the welder in a factory that both produced DOM aluminum tubing and aluminum extrusions. Worked well using nickel rod for the cast as well as 309 stainless for dissimilar metals. We had large plates of graphite laying around the extrusion presses. They used them as guides for the shapes as the aluminum came out of the dies.