I Forge Iron

Tempting Vulcan...

Vulcan anvils are are on the low end of the cast iron/steel face anvils.  The face plates are thin.  If it is needed, for the price, it is probably OK.  It could always be used on the floor as an upsetting anvil for long bars.   Or a good counterweight on the back of a tractor or truck.  Or a door stop or mooring block for a boat.

If you need an anvil, for £50 that anvil could pay for itself in short order. See if you can talk to the seller and make a better deal. Do not just purchase the anvil and set it in the corner, but make it work for it's keep. 

After it has paid for itself, continue to make it work for you and put the money into an account dedicated to the purchase of another anvil. It may be only nickels and dimes, but the dedicated account will increase with each item that passes across the anvil. Once you purchase the NEW ANVIL, you can always sell the old one and get your money back, or have two anvils in your shop.

If you were to take a BRAND NEW high dollar anvil you could only make and do what is available in your present skill set. Each time you use the vulcan anvil, you gain knowledge, experience, and expertise in blacksmithing, and expand your skill set.

It is still your call as to purchase the anvil or not.

Vulcans are anvils that do well for folks who need to be discrete with their smithing.  They are a quiet anvils and so instead of the bright far ranging *TING* of other types of anvils in use you get a more muted "thwap".

Fishers also have this coveted property and are much better made and of course other anvils can be quieted down through proper mounting techniques and other tweaks.

I would suspect that Vulcans are much rarer in the UK than here in the USA

at $82 i would buy it in a heart beat. my vulcan works as good as my peter wright. it does take a little getting use to the way the horn is shaped. but a lot of that can be tweaked with a grinder and some flapper wheels.
matt o

My main anvil is a 185lb vulcan and I love it to death. http://ipneto.deviantart.com/art/my-anvil-84216145

From the picture it looks like a good anvil but as with all anvils I recommend going and performing all the tests necessary to tell you if there are any hidden problems with it.  My vulcan has 80-90 percent return.   the flatter horn on my vulcan has actually served me quite well as I have found I am more capable of doing more with the flatter toped horn then the round ones on other anvils.  I do love the quietness of my anvil and always hate having to use someones "bell" of an anvil or my acme anvil.  I vote for getting it if the tests as positive.  Plus its hard to argue with that kind of price on an anvil that looks that good.   :D

I don't see anything wrong with the edges.  The far side looks a bit bad, I'll admit, but definitely 100% usable and functional.  Once you take a sander to it and smooth up the radius, I bet it would look very good.

The general size and the flat face plate are the main thing, in my book.  You can make an anvil block if you need a sharp edge... and I actually find them easier to use in most instances.

However, if a quiet anvil is the attraction, simply bed your 'church bell' in some silicone caulk.  I heard about it, tried it, and can't believe how much of a difference it makes.  Mine went from bell to wood plank immediately.

When I get around to making my stand for my acme I will try some of those remedies.  The edges on that anvil have no bearing on your usefulness.  They only serve as a point to drive price down.  I would be  very happy with any anvil that looks like that is quiet and passes the other tests.  Main reason… those edges should be radiused anyways so chips not a problem they just help you not have to grind the steel away now you've got a start on your radiuses.  I also use anvil blocks when I need a sharp corner or some variation there on.  Sharp corners are more easily made and kept up on a smaller block of steel then on an anvil.  It is also more tool if you grind different radiuses on your anvil.  Then you have built in fullers of different sizes without having to go to the effort of forging bottom tools.  :D  Its all about the dies.   

It looks reasonably usable. It's nice and small (any idea on weight?), so should be reasonably portable. Price seems pretty reasonable too.

Have you bought it yet?

If you're not interested in buying it, send me the details and I'll have it in a flash.

Bugger, sorry Tim, just got back to shore and got in touch with the guy. It sold yesterday!

Ba humbug!

I've a lead on another anvil so will chase that up too. They were both down south though bud.

All the best
Andy

Three  sayings come to mind here on your loss of this anvil

"He who hesitates is Lost" as we were taught in the Army

"Strike while the iron is hot"

And as we said in the Auto sales business "there is a behind to fit every seat, you just have to look Harder for some than others"