I Forge Iron

knife from fiery furnace

FieryFurnace

I've tinkered in the past with rebar, rail-road spikes, files, and sucker rod knives with varied amounts of success. I absolutely LOVE blades, and have enjoyed tinkering with them in the past, but I've never devoted much time to them as that has never been the direction I've wanted to go with my smithing.

Sure I'd love to be a master bladesmith someday, but I am more interested in the blacksmithing side of things, at least for now.

Well a while back (couple of years ago,) my grandad asked me to make him a knife when I felt like my skill level was up to par with producing something good.

I still do not have the tools or the skill to produce a really fine product, but over the last two days I've worked to make the following for him.

The blade is 5160, the cross guard is 404 stainless, the rivets are copper, and the handle is cow bone I bought at Quadstate. The case was made by my 14 year old brother.

image_zpsce5df7a3.jpg

image_zpsa2313df6.jpg

image_zps55772e56.jpg

image_zpsc98e6817.jpg

This is the first knife I've ever made that I would actually call a real knife. The level of finish is not super, but it's the best I could do with what I had.

And just for thanksgiving teasers, here's a made-from-scratch apple pie my sister made.

image_zps528d9c86.jpg

Thoughts???

Looks like a good useful blade Dave, about as much length as I ever need. Your brother did a fine job of the sheath as well and if I weren't about as full as a boy should be I'd be wanting a slice of your sister's pie. You belong to a talented family.

As for Thanksgiving I'd like to offer a belated wish for everybody to enjoy an excellent one. I sincerly hope you all have as much to be thankful for as I do.

Eat plenty, sleep well.

Frosty The Lucky.

You should tell your sister she did a fine job lacing that crust! It's either she's been baking from scratch for a while or has a natural talent in braiding dough. My second love to blacksmithing is found in the kitchen and in all of the years I've been making food stuffs have never been able to get the end result so tight. Big hands and fingers have their own pitfalls sometimes.  <_<

Shepherd's pie is a great tummy filler on cold nights. Happy Thanksgiving!

xe5l.jpg

As far as the knife goes, yeah...nothing bad to say about it, brother. You did a fine job on the blade as your younger did on the sheath and loop. I'm sure your grandaddy will be wearing it as a sign of how proud he is of the both of you!

Thanks guys! My sister is 24 (married now,) and she's been an active part of the household kitchen duties since she was nine or ten. She can braid her own hair a half dozen different ways so between that and her extensive culinary experience, I imagine braiding a pie on a counter top would've be too tough for her. She used to braid leather too....braided me a 21 strand calfskin belt once.

The stitching on the sheath is very good. It it was hand stitched it is much better than any of my knife sheaths!
Also I am reminded that there is some leftover apple pie waiting for me in the refrigerator!

The stitching was machine done! My brother has a pretty nice machine!

Haha! Unfortunately I only had one piece of pie before it was all gone, but it was very tasty.