I Forge Iron

Scrap yard find

Davor

I went to the scrap yard and bought 32 kilos of files and other blacksmithing tools, 11 files almost all big around 60 cm long (23 inches). It cost me around 20 euros or 25 dollars. But in with the tools was some sort of the crank tool thingy, well you can see on the pictures. So what is it? Maybe it’s not from a blacksmith’s shop but it was with all the other tools that obviously are. The small piece on the back is broken off.

post-47169-0-04040000-1383305603_thumb.j

post-47169-0-45366600-1383305636_thumb.j

post-47169-0-32036600-1383305640_thumb.j

post-47169-0-54702100-1383305643_thumb.j

post-47169-0-74209700-1383305646_thumb.j

You got it in one Davor! That is indeed a highly coveted hand crank thingy!

Sorry, I couldn't resist joking a little. I'm afraid I don't know what it is but I'll sure be interested when someone who does speaks up.

Frosty The Lucky.

next step, carefully take it apart and see what is inside.

Not necessary. I turn the handle and the little piece on the back turns also. The handle has a big gear and the piece on the back a small one. Don't know the ratio, didn't count. I can turn it in both directions.

I've no idea what the tool was used for, but I did find the handle interesting. First off, the handle can pivot, and also it is offset (not straight). It would appear when the handle is as shown in the photos, when turning it would have more torque. Now flip the handle 180 degrees and when turned would it not be easier to rotate faster, but with less torque?

The more I look at it I think the offset in the handle is merely so it doesn't hit the raised part of the smaller gear thingy as it turns.

The prong thingy attached to the smaller gear looks to be replaceable. Maybe that was so different sized prong thingies could be used.

All that being said, I think the machine was used to cut or scribe a hole in some sort of dense material such as glass or light gauge metal, etc. I could also be dead wrong!

IMHO It would appear to be a part off a  Singer type sewing machine,

The handle folds in to pack away in the carrying case.

The unit is secured/bolted to the sewing machine base, and the drive engages in the (hand) wheel that gives the reciprocating motion for the needle's drive.

Oh yeah, the hand crank Singer is still the best selling sewing machine Singer made. One fits in a small suite case size case and doesn't take up near the room. Folk moving west didn't have room to spare, a treadle sewing machine was pretty high fallutin.

My sister collects, restores and uses sewing machines of all kinds at least used to have a couple hundred of the things in various states of restoration. Knows the Singer info number by memory.

The hand crank machines are unbeatable for embroidery.

Frosty The Lucky.

IMHO It would appear to be a part off a  Singer type sewing machine,

The handle folds in to pack away in the carrying case.

The unit is secured/bolted to the sewing machine base, and the drive engages in the (hand) wheel that gives the reciprocating motion for the needle's drive.

Thanks John, it was driving me nuts. My grandmother still has a foot powered sewing machine, I had no idea there was hand powered ones. :)

Well I took it because I thought I could make something from it, maybe a small round stone grinder/sharpener.