I Forge Iron

bending tool

Greetings All,

It's time again for another one of my ( WHY DID'T I THINK OF THAT POST )..  I think this is what Glenn has in mind for this thread...  Share ideas.  

This is a simple bending tool that is only 2 angle brackets with a post on one and a old 1/2 inch extension top welded on top..  You can use angle iron but you must remove the inside radius or it will not close in the vise correct...  What this allows you to do is any radius that you wish using old sockets..  The 5/16 round example was easy to bend cold...  I have used this tool for years and it will do just as much as the expensive bending jigs you buy.. The secret is that you can adjust the distance and simply tighten the vise..  If you use an old extension top use care in welding.. The locking ball has a spring behind it and will not like the heat...   As pictured I use a piece of 1/2by1/2 to store my old sockets.. Works well..   Have fun making this tool .. I have had many students make one and they are still in use today...

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

post-30666-0-39411500-1382306544_thumb.j   post-30666-0-85195500-1382306605_thumb.j   post-30666-0-08695400-1382306665_thumb.j

As a foot note ... I have hard way bent 1/4 x1  with a little help at  the anvil to keep it flat...

post-30666-0-74816700-1382306704_thumb.j    post-30666-0-73796900-1382306747_thumb.j

Beat ya to it!!!   :D

I made mine using 1/2" round stock welded to the inside of the angle iron.  No need to remove the radius inside the angle because the barstock shims it out enough, though I am thinking about adding some strong magnets to keep the angle in place when opening and closing the jaws.  As it is, I can adjust from zero to roughly ten inches without a problem, and can bend around any socket I might have that slips over the upright.

AdjTurningForkwMandrel.jpg

The sockets are an awsome idea and cheap enough to find used ones. I have been starting a collection of small pieces of different diameter of pipe which I simply slip over one side of my turning forks. I have been intending to fab up some adjustable forks for the vise, this seems like plenty enough incentive.... I guess I'll have to go by some flea markets now and scrounge up some sockets : ) .

I think your exactly right with what Glenn had in mind, and posts like this are one of the main reasons I like this site, so keep them coming!

harbor freight here I come!  they want way too much money for the junk tools at the flea market/swap meet in my town, I think it might actually BE cheaper to just get a brand new set from HF than try and squabble with them for odds and ends...

any thoughts on problems bending hot steel with potentially plated sockets, or is that a non-issue?

you could also clean up the inside edge of the socket and have them double as a set of small diameter dishing rings.

• 3 months later...

LR, I've never had a problem with sockets popping off mine, but I have a full-length post, not the short extension.  I like having one set of forks for whatever bending I might do, though I do like how the square shank stops the socket from wobbling and rotating on you.  The next set I make might get one upright made from half-inch square stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used the yesteryear ultra jig. It is expensive but looks great for a guy who is not a machinist. I just ordered one to try. Hope it is as good as the video. In any event it will be better than me because I have a forge and anvil and have not achieved beginner status yet.

I'll share mine as well. This one is adjustable by loosening the cap screws and
moving the 1" diameter pins along the t-slot to desired width and retighten the
cap screws.Sockets and dies can utilized as well for bends.
It's got a one square shank or can be clamped in vise horizontally or vertically.post-48468-0-04777000-1393376366_thumb.jpost-48468-0-99482800-1393376469_thumb.jpost-48468-0-50921400-1393376546_thumb.jpost-48468-0-71409500-1393376616_thumb.j

I sometimes use a very humble system I thought of, though I'm sure I'm not the first:

Tenon & shoulder a piece of round bar so it fits into your pritchel hole without sliding through. Separately, weld piece of pipe onto the corner of a hardy shank so that the shank won't fall through.

Because the pipe is offset on the top of the shank it means you've got 4 preset bending sizes between the round bar and the pipe depending on which way you drop the hardy shank into the hardy hole.

• 2 weeks later...

I made my version of this yesterday. Its angle iron with 3/4" forks. I didn't go the socket route yet, but still keeping an eye for some cheap used ones.  For now I'll keep using my collection of different diameters of short pieces of pipe I slip over the forks. I didn't notice untile now how your version was beefed up for cold turning. It looks like the forks are passing through the thick top plate. Are they welded on the underside?

post-37148-0-24962500-1394381984_thumb.j