I Forge Iron

International Blacksmiths Festival 2014

Book the dates now, August 13th, 14th, 15th, and 16th 2014 at Westpoint Showground in Devon, 

We have been working on this project for some time now, and it has finally come together as a reality, and so we will be working even harder to produce something very special for all who are interested in the craft,

By ' we' it is a combined effort of our own Blacksmiths Guild (formerly the Guild of Wrought Ironwork Craftsmen of Wesssex, and the Blacksmiths and Metalworkers Association of the South West.), the Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths, BABA, and the NBCC, all the major blacksmithing groups in the UK, if we have missed any then please come forward and contribute, individuals are also welcomed.

The event is to showcase the Best of Blacksmithing the world has to offer and the people who participate in this ancient but vital and essential craft, its historic roots and its place in society and industry today,

Other attractions will include an exhibition area, where participants can bring along exhibits to sell or display, trade stands, local produce, including food and drink, old fashioned amusements, and Camping on site nearby will be available.

So far,

Brian Brazeal has kindly agreed to come over to the UK to show his skills in person, Alec Steel and Daniel of the Young Smiths are also on board to let you see how they work as a team and what they can do

There will be an Iron smelt by Owen Bush and Mick Maxen,

An Iron age forge will be in attendance, Medieval reenactors with armour and weapons they have made will also be on site.

Hector Cole will be demonstrating arrowhead making in his wooden hearth/forge

There will be aluminium casting demonstrations with participation,

Jim Horrabin has threatend to lead a team from Somerset in the forging competition

Their will be an international team competition throught the event, each team making a panel to a theme, these will then be made into a large pair of entrance gates for the showgrounds main entrance, if you have a team, no limit on the numbers in the team, then please register an interest and we will be delighted to try to include your group.

'Smiths from Ireland, Germany, and Bulgaria have already confirmed they will be attending.

We are still in the early stages, but you have been warned, miss it and regret it later, there has not been an event to compare to this in the UK this century, lots of details to finalise and work out yet, but I will try to keep you updated, and will put the website details up as soon as I know them.

Look forward to meeting as many there as I can, it will be good to put faces to site names.

Don't forget to put on your IForge T shirts so we can recognise you, so put your order in to Glenn now if you haven't already got one.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great! I.M.H.O I suggest making a TV company aware of this or at least your regional BBC news, it'd make a great documentary.
Beer in the UK is never warm, lager is served cold and ales are served either slightly chilled or at room temperature.

After the forging, will the beer be warm or cold?

However you like it, as I don't drink beer (or other alcholic stuff) I am not particularly concerned how you drink it, I have been told UK beers are a little bit stronger than the US ones,  but am not qualified to talk about them,

You may like to try some of our British rough scrumpy or mead as a comparison/variation and see if that suits you.

Just a heads up:  The ABANA event in Deleware is happening at virtually the same time.

Thanks for that info, an invitation has been sent out to ABANA, but no response from them yet as far as I am aware, and the showground site and some demonstrators are already booked.

Hopefully it will pull the British/European 'smithing community together as its not as far/expensive to travel for them, and if anyone from elsewhere wants to attend they will be more than welcome.

Very glad that this has come together after all your prep' John. I will most definitely be there, will it be possible to camp within the grounds or is now a good time to book hotel rooms?

Camping will be available on site for participants and pre booked visitors

its just a shame that it also falls on the same week(end) as the Wilderness Gathering. I was hoping to be at this event for the duration, but the WG is my biggest earning show of the year, so can't miss it  :rolleyes: .  I'll try and get down for the first day, but will have to think of the logistics...

There is a very good chance that I can actually make this, as SWMBO ends her course next year at the beginning of August I think. :)

Ps, I'm going to send you an email in a day or two John, some things are afoot that you may be interested in.  ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd really love to attend this. I assume there will be some kind of fee for non members like myself?

Sorry so late in picking this up, we are still sorting details.

I am afraid so, its an open to the public event, with other attractions going on in other areas so non blacksmith family members can be amused/entertained whilst we get on with the interesting stuff,

here are the provisional prices,  

Adult £15 per person, Under 16s when accompanied by a paying adult responsible for them are free

Groups /clubs /etc (minimum 6 ) £10 per person

Tickets for the four days £45 Entry to showground only,

plus opportunity to camp on site at £25 (from 12th to 16th August inclusive) per pitch

SPECIFIC DEMONSTRATION SESSIONS  £10 /session book on site  Multi bookings for demos will possibly be negotiable

MASTERCLASS / PARTICIPATION /HANDS ON GUIDANCE  £15 per class per person book on site, Class size will be limited

For details of who we have attending so far refer to http://blacksmithsguild.com/special_events.html

Still waiting for the IBF dedicated website to be finalised, but information given on link is current.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry so late in picking this up, we are still sorting details.

I am afraid so, its an open to the public event, with other attractions going on in other areas so non blacksmith family members can be amused/entertained whilst we get on with the interesting stuff,

here are the provisional prices,

Adult £15 per person, Under 16s when accompanied by a paying adult responsible for them are free

Groups /clubs /etc (minimum 6 ) £10 per person

Tickets for the four days £45 Entry to showground only,
plus opportunity to camp on site at £25 (from 12th to 16th August inclusive) per pitch

SPECIFIC DEMONSTRATION SESSIONS £10 /session book on site Multi bookings for demos will possibly be negotiable

MASTERCLASS / PARTICIPATION /HANDS ON GUIDANCE £15 per class per person book on site, Class size will be limited

For details of who we have attending so far refer to http://blacksmithsguild.com/special_events.html

Still waiting for the IBF dedicated website to be finalised, but information given on link is current.

That all sounds perfectly reasonable. Cheers for the reply john. I've been busy myself so only just picked up on it.

Daft question but will it be frowned upon to bring ones own apron etc etc?

Cheers
Andy

That all sounds perfectly reasonable. Cheers for the reply john. I've been busy myself so only just picked up on it.

Daft question but will it be frowned upon to bring ones own apron etc etc?

Cheers
Andy

Hi Andy,  so long as you are with it, no problems also other PPE and tools if you wish.

There will be various competitions or demos if you wish to join in, it's going to be a "Hands on" event with other attractions to keep other family members happy and interested.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are getting a four day ticket, There will be evening get togethers and late night happenings going on 'til late on site, also an option for on site camping

If you can pm me with your email address, I can send you details, waiting for website finalisation at moment, but most information re access and events is available,

• 1 month later...

Hoozah, after many delays, we have finally got the website up and functioning and it can be seen here http://www.internationalblacksmithsfest.com/  

one or two minor changes from what was originally envisaged, but all the building blocks are now in place, Marquees hired,  toilet facilities booked, security arranged, plus many top class demonstrators and exhibits.

BABA will also be holding their AGM on the Saturday morning from 9.00am 

We now need more International Teams to come forward to compete as well as individuals and students. All details are on the website

Any other queries or questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to respond.

It's promising to be a great four days and I look forward to meeting many of you there to put names to faces and to share and spread the knowledge.