I Forge Iron

Hello from Europe

Davor

From Croatia to be exact. My name is Davor and I am new to this blacksmithing stuff, I found this forum to be very helpful so I presume the only course of action is to join this fine community.

I have made a few knifes, but only a small number by hammering down and that was very crude and needed a lot of grinding. But now I’m more interested in the other aspects of blacksmithing. The only problem I have (besides the lack of knowledge and skill LOL) is that I can’t have a stationary forge so I have made a small mobile one. Anvil from a railroad track and a forge from some sort of a water container (a hidropak). The air suplly is from a compressor. I have made some crude tongs and hooks and a proper forged blade.

post-47169-0-28847600-1381906409_thumb.j

post-47169-0-15718900-1381906412_thumb.j

post-47169-0-35769200-1381906415_thumb.j

post-47169-0-63368000-1381906418_thumb.j

post-47169-0-83848600-1381906421_thumb.j

post-47169-0-30674100-1381906428_thumb.j

post-47169-0-19882600-1381906434_thumb.j

post-47169-0-81079800-1381906436_thumb.j

post-47169-0-19907900-1381906440_thumb.j

post-47169-0-60420000-1381906443_thumb.j

Greetings and Welcome Davor,

The start of a fun journey is sometimes the hardest part...  I looks like you have all the basics to make yourself a coal forge and the tools you will need in the  future...  The only difference between a master and a newbie is time and education..  I have been at it for close to 40 years and I am still a student..  I wish you well.

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

you have done well, I am no expert and could probably make the same but not much better and that would take time.

your forge looks good and seems to work well.

there is plenty of help available here if you look for it and if you cant find it just ask.

you may want to add your location to your profile then people who in the future have not read this thread will have an idea of where you are, they may be in the same area, often just the country helps.

Welcome aboard Davor, glad to have you. If you put your general location in your header you might be pleasantly surprised to find out how many of the IFI gang live within visiting distance. I know there are a couple more croats on the forum, hooking up with an experienced smith will save you a huge amount of time compared to figuring it out yourself.

You've put together a good beginning kit. I think you'll find a blower more satisfactory for supplying the forge with air than the compressed air. Air volume is much more important than pressure. High pressure air can blow right through the fire to the steel and burn it up. Low pressure high volume air creates specific burn zones in the fuel, oxidizing near the air grate, neutral zone higher in the fuel to carburizing near the top. Of all the zones, the oxidizing zone is the least used in blacksmithing.

Those are good functional tongs, better than my first few pair. Well done.

Blacksmithing is a lifelong learning curve, you'll never learn it all, every session will open new things to you. Enjoy the ride!

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks guys, thank you for the kind words, advices and encouragement. I hope to become good enough blacksmith to be a contributing member on this forum and  help others that are interested in this (unfortunately) dying art.

Thanks guys, thank you for the kind words, advices and encouragement. I hope to become good enough blacksmith to be a contributing member on this forum and  help others that are interested in this (unfortunately) dying art.

Hi Davor, and welcome, just a couple of things,

You don't have to be a "good enough blacksmith to contribute to the site" , all questions will help others too shy to ask, so don't be shy.

Secondly, it's not a dying art, far from it, The problem is we usually labour away in isolation, with a low public profile,  which we are constantly working on, both on this site and in our own groups and associations. If you are over in the UK look us up and see if we can help www.blacksmithsguild.com or look in the Blacksmith Groups section on this forum, bottom of the home page.

Thank you John, I'll be sure to ask if I can't find it on the forum.

And I said it is a dying art because in a little village where my grandparents live (population under 1000 people), according to my grandfather used to be about 30 blacksmiths and now there isn’t one in a 50 kilometer radius. He says that when the electric welding machines came the blacksmiths started to close shop.

Glad to hear it is a different story in the UK.