I Forge Iron

just a little something to say I worked in the shop

Dogsoldat

• 1 month later...

I've made a few more knives similar to this one.  The one has been field tested,  been through 2 deer and an elk  and still hair spitting sharp  so the owner tells me.  Super happy with it.  Only issue is the handle gets a bit slippery and he tends to slide up onto the blade a little when skinning with it.  Really like the flow the shape has,  and it's such a nice feel in the hand.  was thinking maybe put a bunch of file marks across the handle.  Was kinda wondering if anyone had any thoughts on other ways to rectify the situation?

post-15973-0-75480800-1386567793_thumb.p

You could drill holes in the handle and do a cord wrap.  Or, I've put round head rivets through the holes peened them over and left it at that.  Rather than forge the handles down, upset them to give them some thickness.  File work.  Slab handles.  Spray on rubber/plastic stuff.  Horse stall mat.  Rawhide (buy the biggest dog chew toy and soak in water to unknot the ends).

Geoff

Thanks for the ideas guys.  How would you go about a finger guard on a design like this Rich, or is it even possible?

That's the problem in my opinion, the design.

I can't imagine what perseverance it would take to skin 2 deer and an elk with very little in the way of a handle.

The Jim Bowie legend records the addition of the guard to the Bowie Knife when Jim's brother cut his hand badly using a guard less knife.

A hunter should have a comfortable handle the handle should be grippy and offer protection for the hand if it is to be used often.

When the task at hand is bloody and slippery and potentially dangerous to the user.

i WANT MY CUSTOMER,FRIEND UNCLE OR FATHER, to have the best tool I can make for the job.

You did well on the heat treat, that's pretty impressive 2 deer and an elk.

I would hate for you to have to live with someone cutting their hand very badly.

I would hate to have to live with myself If I didn't tell you the truth.

My .02