I Forge Iron

Twisting Square stock.

zbear

with my larger twisting wrench I once twisted a RR spike cold---not annealed or forged either.

I've found that I can buy cold twisted stock cheaper than I can make it.  In fact I am usually found untwisting twisted scrap that I've gotten for free to make tent stakes from---usually leave one twist in it to help with holding in the ground.

Greetings Zbear,

I have twisted many many square bars in the past...   I my old shop I was able to twist  3/4 square bar 15 foot cold with my eagle roller with adaptors..  I made a slick twisting machine from 2in 3/8 wall square tube with a torque multiplier from a truck lug bolt system..  16 to 1 ratio...  I used a ring roller style wheel to drive it and square sockets for the drive connector..  I could add up to 20 ft of extension ..  The holding end was a modified pipe vise...    Cold roll square stock will twist even but you must have a consistent and even drive..  The metal will get warm.. Ever wonder why the metal does not change length when twisting...    Next time you twist heat a  small section with the torch and reverse twist...   All twist are at the weakest link or the hottest it will not change the original twist or unwind it...   

Have fun

Forge on and make beautiful things

Jim

• 6 months later...