I Forge Iron

Can't find a 30 gal steel drum

Dan C

I'm in Austin or Central Texas trying to find a 30 gallon steel drum.  I didn't think it would be this hard.  I'm wanting to build a charcoal retort as described here,

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

I've visited construction sites, oil change, auto repair and called feed stores, industrial oil supplies, but none of them have 30 gallon steel drums, only 55's which I already have 2 of.  Anyone know where else I could try?  I've tried contacting people on craig's list that had 55's listed, but they don't have them either.  It would help I guess if I knew which industries actually used the 30's.

Thinking the trash can would be too thin of metal anyway, plus like you said they're galvanized.  I put an ad out on craig's list, maybe that'll turn something up and emailed some of the places around town that service heavy equipment & tractors. 

I did find a place east of Dallas that sells them, be awhile before I'm up that way, but the price is right.

http://tyler-tx.americanlisted.com/75706/garden-house/metal-plastic-barrels-4-ale_24251217.html

Here you go... you'll need to scroll down some to reach the steel  or stainless steel ones.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/Material-Handling-Storage/Containers/Drums-Pails-Tubs-Cans?navid=12105278+4288150889&searchterm=30+gallon+drum

I'm betting if I search Graingers or McMaster Carr online I can locate ones also. You can also look under containers etc and probably find a local packaging company that sells them also.

30 gallon ones aren't the easiest to find used. Most times it's not as cost effective to ship things in smaller containers than 55 gallon drums or bigger than 5 gallon pails. The exceptions tend to be things where due to their hazardous status, regs limit the quantity that can be shipped, or because a consumer needs a predetermined amount of a product. If you need only 30 gallons or slightly less to mix an item, it might pay to simply order the pre measured quantity in smaller drums vs having to have a partially used one sit for a length of time. I know my buddy used to get heptane in 30 gallon drums where he worked. The reason being is that when they did a batch of product, that's the quantity the needed. If they used 55 gallon drums, they'd always have to stop and refill while making a batch and then sit and store the remainder until they ran that particular mix again. All the end product they made either shipped out in big 500 gallon totes, 55 gallon drums or 5 gallon pails.

We use 30 Gal. SS barrels to store Maple Syrup in between the time it's drawn off the evaporator and is packaged for Retail sale and sometimes we sell wholesale in 30 gal lots.

Look up Maple Syrup Supplies and there are a few places that offer them on the internet.

Not the easiest to find in Texas.

Thanks for all the responses and ideas!  As such my phone calls have gotten more productive as I got a better idea of what the 30's are used for and who might have them.  I also found out that many of the oil change places are independently owned, so one location may not use them anymore while another might.  I was striking out w/ Jiffy Lube so tried Kwik Kar and found about half their locations still used the steel 30's, then out of those most didn't have any emptys but one place close to work said they did, so that's where I'm going at lunchtime.

I think the 16 and 55 would work, but yield would be less.  Ian posted his retort which is 2 - 44 gallon drums.  I may ping him directly as I don't follow everything he did, though reading & rereading it right now hoping it will make more sense.  Like you say, cutting a 55 down maybe a better option, and it looks like his setup is more neighborhood friendly which is going to be a concern.

Any industrial food processing places near you, like Sara Lee or Hillshire Farms or Mrs Smith, etc??  Their maintenance departments get all kinds of lubricants in 30 gal barrels as well as some food stuffs......I got mione from the local Sara Lee bakery when I worked there.