I Forge Iron

Stone weight middle number ever higher than a "3"?

As Thomas pointed out could be a mistake. We all have a bad day once in a while. Some time in the past I saw one with the name upside down. I own quite a few Peter Wrights and have looked at many, none miss marked. The script style used to stamp them can be confusing as to a 5 or a 3 particularly when the numbers are worn from use and age. As a general rule Peter Wright anvils are meticulusly finished, they took great pride in their anvils and the quality of their products. As said a picture would be helpful. Good Luck!

Reason I'm questioning the middle number being a 5 is the seller says it is a Peter Wright 0-5-19 marking, and says it weighs 159 pounds.

I questioned the middle number being a 3 instead of 5.  He says he was weighed it, it is indeed a 5, and that he has seen other middle numbers above a 3 in the past.

When I asked what length the anvil was, he said it was 21".

To me, a 21" PW anvil would be about 100#, and would make sense if the marking was 0-3-19 (103#).

I just don't see a 159# PW anvil only being 21" long.....

Like Thomas says, it's simple math, so it cannot be higher than a "3" IF AN ENGLISH ANVIL MARKING.  The first number is the amount of "hundredweights" or 112 pounds.  The second number, if a "4" or higher would be 4 X 28, or 112, so that number would be moved over to the first.  On the other hand, if the anvil is not marked per Hundredweight, instead actual weight, he could have seen 158 or 166 or whatever.  Without knowing the anvil's maker,we cannot discuss the marking accurately.

I have a question. Are the English made anvils the only ones that use the stoneweight system? We have, a Hay Buden and an American in the shop. They appear to have their weight in lbs stamped at the waist. The PWs both use the stone weight system. Just curious .

Peter

The center number is not in stones it's in quarter hundredweights which is 2 stones, the final number is then the remainder of the quarter hundredweight so [0-9] [0-3] [0-27]

It's unlikely you'd find one heavy enough to find out, but I'd imagine the first number (Hundredweights) could go up to 19, as a ton in this system is the long ton, of 2240 lb or 20 cwt.

I have a question. Are the English made anvils the only ones that use the stoneweight system? Peter

The stone weight system was developed in England, so that's who mainly used it. There may be a few odd ball others who did also, but most any other country of origin used either pounds or kgs.

Here's the English Avoirdupois weights. Thought it would clear up a few things. Wish I had an anvil that weighed a sack or more. Just google Avoirdupois weight system and you can learn all you ever wanted to know. Weight system starts with the grain (which used to be a barley grain) and there are 7000 grains to a pound.

avoirdupois weights
16 drams = 1 ounce
16 ounces = 1 pound
7 pounds = 1 clove
14 pounds = 1 stone
28 pounds = 1 tod
112 pounds = 1 hundredweight
364 pounds = 1 sack
2240 pounds = 1 ton
2 stones = 1 quarter
4 quarters = 1 hundredweight
20 hundredweight = 1 ton

Methinks someone was hitting the juice of the barleycorn when they came up with this system. As well as the whole pence/farthing/shilling/crown/quid thing. Don't get me started on the rules of cricket. :blink:

I mean, 1 sack = 26 stones! Why not 25, that would have been an even 350 pounds? or 24 stones, that would have been 3 hundredweights, or 336 pounds? No, we get a bakers-dozen-tod measurement that equals 3 hundredweights plus one one quarter hundredweight, not divisible into anything remotely useful. Sigh.

Signed, your obedient servant, one very confused, very large (12 tod/24 stone) anvil smacker. B)

All measuring systems are arbitrary when you come down to it

At least the 12 inches to the foot made it easy to divide by 1,2,3,4,6,8,9,10 !

In germany Imperial towns were allowed their own weights and measures and you can still visit some of them and see their "yard" as it was inlet in the town hall's wall as an iron bar so it was easy to compare a merchant's yard stick to.

Actually, to me, it looks like an old English "3" that is leaning a little to the left, missing most of the top stroke, that has a chisel strike (testing the sharpness) at the very top to turn it into a "5"....at least that's what I thought when I first looked at.  Here's a link that has the style of the number "3" that I am talking about:

http://www.custom-vinyl-lettering.net/decals/hand-lettered-alphabets/bird-old-english-numbers-punctuation/

I could be wrong, have been before, but that's my opinion and worth every cent you paid for!