I Forge Iron

Forge both pieces for tongs at once?

windancer

I seem to remember reading about how to forge both pieces for a set of tongs at the same time.

Anyone know where I might find this again?

Thanks

Dave

In one writeup on the Dempsey method of twisting the jaw portion, it had you forging each end of a bar, then when finished with each end, cutting it in half.  That's probably not what you are referring to, however.

I just finished a set of tongs using the Dempsey method, but I used two separate bars. That way, when I finished the first half to my satisfaction, I could forge the second part to match the first by laying them down side by side.  Doing each end of a bar doesn't allow you to make the comparison as you work.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Thanks to all.

What I am looking for is the instructions for forging both pieces of a pair of tongs at once. There is no way to NOT have them match with that method :)

Thanks again,

Dave

OK,...OK,...OK,...I got it figgered out.  Make one very wide tong "half" and then split it longways!!!!!  Perfect match on the split pieces.  All you gotta do is round off the reins. :wub:

Never ever heard of it being done, and I can't picture how you'd do it.  Like arkie said, you'd have to start out with a wide piece and then split it in half.  At least, that's the only way I can decipher it, too.

Forging out the jaw/s would be easy.... but what do you do for the boss areas?  If you fuller the boss area, that would pinch the area, but wouldn't they then be opposed to one another.  Right?  

Seems like a lot of work and finagling.  

Never ever heard of it being done, and I can't picture how you'd do it.  Like arkie said, you'd have to start out with a wide piece and then split it in half.  At least, that's the only way I can decipher it, too.

Forging out the jaw/s would be easy.... but what do you do for the boss areas?  If you fuller the boss area, that would pinch the area, but wouldn't they then be opposed to one another.  Right?  

Seems like a lot of work and finagling.  

Vaughn...

My idea of splitting lengthways was more "tounge in cheek" than a real suggestion...but if an experienced smith could pull it off, why not?

It was quite a while back, maybe 6 or 7 years, when I ran across the info. Was hoping it was in the blueprint section, but no joy.

Just finished a Dempsey pair that works well, but want to try several methods to see which fits my temperament best :)

I have been using the tong blanks from Ken's Iron and those are very simple and easy to make and plenty heavy for the work I do.

Seems as if everything I do improves my work even for unrelated items so I want to try a bunch of methods.

Dave

I really like the blanks, Dave.  You really can't make a pair cheaper in the smithy, or find them cheaper at yard sales.  It doesn't negate a fella needing the skill to make a set, but it suuuuuure is handy!

Still haven't come up with a good way of making a pair of jaws at the same time.  Best I can do is Arkie's "tongue in cheek" method, and that doesn't work past making the actual bits.  It's a conundrum wrapped in an enigma....

• 2 weeks later...

Dave/windancer, do you remember any details about tools used in the process or stock choice? I'm trying to visualize the process using the bare essentials but I'm beginning to wonder if there was some kind of top & bottom fullering tool designed for the job...

Right, take a look at Brian's one heat tong blank video,
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5BoFD-qv2OM

You see that he turns the stock to forge the next part of the tong. I reckon if you had a double horn anvil you could make both parts at the same time... Sort of.

Starting with say an 8" section of round, in the middle flatten out the jaw part as Brian does in his video, but make it twice as long. Ie the length you want each part of the jaw to be.

Then forge each side as Brian does in his video, ie a quarter turn, flatten etc. this would leave you with a normal looking tong blank on one side of the bar (just an extra long jaw)
Then flip it round and forge the other half in the same way.

Then you just cut the blank in half at the jaw and you have your tongs. This is the only way I can think of doing it. And I reckon it would be much easier on a double horn, but could be done on a regular single horn.

If I wasn't so low on fuel just now I'd give it a go and make a video...

Andy

...have two irons in the fire?

Sayings and Cornpone

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it.

Charles Burton

My thoughts also Frank. Two pieces held together. You could weld or wire them together at the opposite end and then again half way down for stability. Then they would be as one. If you cant visualize that, put your pointer finger and middle finger together. Joined at one end and move as one. 

I have many tongs that I have made over the past few years. 

Before I ever joined or knew about IFI I found a video on youtube showing how to make tongs by twisting. 

The blacksmith that posted the video was a very talented young man whose name was "Whitesmith". I made a pair of tongs according to his video and they are my favorite tongs to this day. They are used every time I am at the forge. I have made several variations of his twisting method and they all serve me very well.

post-14490-0-49107400-1381000482_thumb.j

My favorite and most used pair.

post-14490-0-99504700-1381000568_thumb.j