I Forge Iron

Could this be rescued?

I would clean it up a bit, basically rust removal.  But not wire wheel it till it shines.  Then oil it, and appreciate all of the work done on it in its long life.  And marvel at the skills it took to make it given the material and technology available in the 1600 or 1700's.  That is my take on a "rescue".

Depending on the size of the anvil and skill of some people it could be heated up in a forge, the hole patched then the face forged flat again! Then you would need to go about hardening and tempering. If it is less than 100lbs I would think 4 or 5 trained strikers could move it in and out of the forge and work it with sledge and flatters till it was true again.

It would be a pretty grand thing to document and share with the iron working world.

Good luck!

Depending on the size of the anvil and skill of some people it could be heated up in a forge, the hole patched then the face forged flat again! Then you would need to go about hardening and tempering. If it is less than 100lbs I would think 4 or 5 trained strikers could move it in and out of the forge and work it with sledge and flatters till it was true again.

It would be a pretty grand thing to document and share with the iron working world.

Good luck!

That isn't out of the question.

It's a lovely looking thing. I just spotted it on eBay looking sad. Such a shame it has gotten into that state.

If the price stays low I may bid on it just to save it from the scrap yard.

Cheers

Greetings Mac,

I don't think I would destroy such a wonderful piece of history by restoring it..  Just think if that anvil could talk the stories it could tell.  I think it's a great teaching tool just as it stands..  If you were to have one just like it totally restored would you use it..  I didn't think so..  

That's my 2c worth

Forge on and make beautiful things    Jim

I'd definitely buy it if the price was right.  Just looking at the face of it, it would make a great anvil/swage for beginning bowls, and as a hardy block.  Mount it on a low stump and you could have a decent striking anvil.

She needs an electrolysis batch to get the rust off.  Then a coat of car wax or oil to preserve her.