I Forge Iron

making a punch to drift holes

The tool pictured is not a forging tool it is used for lining up work so it can be bolted together by rail road and structural steel workers.  A blacksmiths drift is just a round or shaped pin tapered on both ends.  Handled punches are thicker and have more taper to them then handled drifts because they get hit with much more force than a handled drift.  Drift punches are also useful for driving out stuck bolts and pins. 

The tool pictured is not a forging tool it is used for lining up work so it can be bolted together by rail road and structural steel workers.  A blacksmiths drift is just a round or shaped pin tapered on both ends.  Handled punches are thicker and have more taper to them then handled drifts because they get hit with much more force than a handled drift.  Drift punches are also useful for driving out stuck bolts and pins. 

sorry about the picture it was the only thing tat i could find that sort a looked like a drift 

• 3 weeks later...

What would be best for punching very small holes (approximately 1/8" diameter) in relatively thin material (maybe 1/4" thick) for things like cross key chains?

I've heard some people mention using concrete nails, I'm guessing I could round one off on the belt sander and then hold with vice grips.  I've been using a small steel nail set, but it folded over finally due to heat.  

I'm wondering if I could take the smallest bull pin I can find, which so far has a 1/4" end on it, and turn it down to 1/8".  I guess as long as I go slow on the belt sander and keep it from getting too hot, turning down a bull pin may be my best bet.  I have some small pin punches in my tool box, but doubt they would hold up very well under heat.  

I really haven't been able to find the right drift/punch for small holes like I'm dealing with.

Anybody have another idea?

Thanks. 

I vote drill press :)

otherwise, I did cross a few varieties of 'hardened steel masonry nails' of a circular cross section (like normal wire cut nails) while I was searching for a supplier for hardened cut masonry nails.  so you might be able to find some of those.  Tremont would be a good starting place, and maybe home depot or lowes for a box, I think they had the circular ones, they were a total disappointment for the cut nail variety.

I would be interested in hearing what you end up finding out, I have been looking at using some old rotary tool shanks (1/8 inch) that the bit either broke off or was too worn to use as miniature punches for real small scale hot work, but haven't tried them out yet.

plus, with a really thin diameter like that I would cut the nail length waaay down and make a kinda cup/socket to drive it with, if the nail is too long its going to buckle under hammer impact cold eventually, add heat and it will happen much faster (same with those cut nails, bent a few long ones when I got lazy and kept using them after the piece was well out of forging temp)

edit: I would also look at them as somewhat consumable, if you can get a box of nails maybe 3-4 inches long you can cut 3-4 punches from each one and if they get bent or destroyed just toss it and grab the next one.

Most steels will fail as they lose the benefits of heat treatment. And with wot you are asking them to do they may become rivets and part of the problem. 

There a steels that are formulated to not deform while hot. Used to make hot punches. The ones I am familiar with are H 13 and S7,,

Pricey if you can find someone to sell you small lengths. They are worth it.

You really have not told us wot you are punching or why you need to do it hot, That kind of information may lead to better and more to the point answers. 

You really have not told us wot you are punching or why you need to do it hot, That kind of information may lead to better and more to the point answers. 

I mentioned punching holes in cross key chains for the split key ring to go through, but that's just one example of where I'd use it.

a while ago I rough forged one of those same cut steel nails into a miniature tomahawk head and I wanted to attempt to punch an eye for it, rather than drill, because theres so little material there.  kind of an optimistic project, but would make for some pretty cool earrings or necklace pennants, kinda like the thors hammer, but not all from one piece of metal.

A little dressing on a grinder and roller bearings will work for drifts and punches but bear in mind they're not really impact allow steel so use something for a scatter shield till the temper runs a bit.

Drifting a straight hole doesn't require a parallel sided drift if you drive it all the way, through though it does help.

Seriously, punching steel jewelry doesn't require hot work at all, just a compound lever punch, I have one in the shop but the name escapes me. (STUPID TREE!!!) You can buy male and female dies for not unreasonable.

Frosty The Lucky.

Something like a Roper Whitney hand hole punch? I think you still end up losing the mass of the hole punched like a drilled hole, leaving fairly thin side walls, right? I'd be looking to get that swelled appearance typical of a slit and drift operation.

If you want to punch 1/8 thru 1/4 you are going to have a tough job because the punch will be so thin it will tend to heat soften and mushroom in the hole and get stuck.  A hole like this would be made easily and efficiently by drilling even blacksmiths of old would have looked to drill a hole of that size.  If the stock were thinner it could be cold punched. 

If you want to punch 1/8 thru 1/4 you are going to have a tough job because the punch will be so thin it will tend to heat soften and mushroom in the hole and get stuck.  A hole like this would be made easily and efficiently by drilling even blacksmiths of old would have looked to drill a hole of that size.  If the stock were thinner it could be cold punched. 

Good to know - thanks.

The first one I did worked out perfect, but then the following ones I had to resort to the drill press, which I try to avoid just for principle.