I Forge Iron

800 lb anvil

I saw this on craigslist, whatta beast!  They didn't list a price but I thought the design was interesting and would probably be very useful, assuming you had a fork lift.  Just goes to show you don't have to go with a traditional London anvil.  Guess you'd still need to fabricate a stand, which you'd better be very certain of your ability to weld if going that route.

post-34362-0-93680300-1372772945_thumb.jpost-34362-0-46389000-1372772946_thumb.j

And no, I'm not considering buying or know the owner.  Just found it interesting and wondered what people would think of the design & style.

I like the idea of putting a saddle on it :)   I might just for fun call & find out the price.  I kinda assumed it's one of those things that if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it.

I like the idea of putting a saddle on it :)   I might just for fun call & find out the price.  I kinda assumed it's one of those things that if you have to ask how much it is you can't afford it.

No saddle on mine, I'd want wheels and an engine.

Frosty The Lucky.

Brings a wole new angle on "disposable" er not quite like the picnic hamper stuff.

I can see it now  picture late in the day and everybody is prepairing to leave the demo/show.

" hey Thomas when and how  are we gona load the anvil? Aw Bob just chuck it in the skip, there's a dozen or so on the top shelf back at the shop" :D

Ian

there's an echo in here...Hey Frosty you disappoint me!  A true jedi would just use the FORGE to move it.  This must've been the only type of remaining anvil for the last (or actually 1st) 3 movies as they only had heavy light sabres.

Called and talked to the guy, it was interesting.  He has no idea how much he wants for it and was trying to find out what it was worth.  He did believe it was cast iron, the old farmer he got it from said it came from a railroad shop and that it came up to his knees.  I'm guessing something like this would then have been used for smithing train parts and worked with a sledge?  He didn't think originally it was put on a stand at all, but just used it on the ground.

Maybe a google search is in order to find out more, though I'm sure several on this forum know how it was used.

Oh when will I learn...here's the 1st google hit.

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Think about large jobs today where they junk most of their equipment after it's over so as to not have to store it.

I've seen a number of the old bridge anvils used to "sharpen" cable tool drilling rig drill bit, and own one myself---it was cast iron.

I found another with a rotting cable tool drilling rig out in the desert at NM Tech and the anvil is now being stored "in use" at the

fine arts metals shop on campus.  (couldn't talk them into selling it to me; even though it was within a stone's throw of their surplus

material sales location---I could feel it calling to me when I was at an auction there...)

If you look through the Sears and Roebuck catalog reprents from the early 1900's you find out that they sold ASOs as well as rebranded Hay Buddens; but everyone knew that the cast iron "farm anvils" were the lowest quality tier and they were prices as such.

It looks to be the perfect height for handling bigger unwieldy objects. At that height there is still plenty of leverage from the legs and back to lift and hold something and the striker can get a full swing on the sledge. I struggle if I have to use just my shoulders and upper arms to manipulate the heavy gear. I have a couple of very old stands for holding the other end of a long piece of heavy bar, they come to just above my knee.