I Forge Iron

Is this a blacksmithing tool?

I bought this at a little shop that had a lot of old tools up near a cottage we were staying at. Is this a type of handled slitter? Or just a really narrow wood splitting axe? It is stamped Marvel coghlin 48.
There were a few smithing tools at this shop and i bought a couple really nice old axes there that were actually made in the USA and Canada!

post-29745-0-76400800-1372555479_thumb.jpost-29745-0-37631200-1372555503_thumb.j

It's a handled cold chisel, I have one similar in style.  Mine has 'CNR' stamped into it, and I've been told it was used for removing stubborn track bolts by severing either the bolt head or the nut.  A two man job, one with the chisel and his partner swinging a 10 lb. sledge.

As a rail road tool I'll bet it was used to score rail to break. Simply score rail at the point you want it to break, lift it and drop it on another piece of rail at the scored place and it'll snap surprisingly cleanly. I've heard it can be snapped with a hearty blow from a sledge hammer but haven't seen that done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Simply score rail at the point you want it to break, lift it and drop it on another piece of rail at the scored place and it'll snap surprisingly cleanly. I've heard it can be snapped with a hearty blow from a sledge hammer but haven't seen that done.

Frosty The Lucky.

Is this the Almond flavored rail? :D

Is this the Almond flavored rail? :D

I don't know Ian, tasting rail just isn't a thing we do this side of the planet. How about you come on up next January, I'll point you to some nice shiny rail you can give a lick. I'm curious now but don't have any experience to judge. When can we pick you up at the airport?

Frosty The Lucky.

Please forgive Frosty; he once sassed a Birch Tree and has never been quite the same since...

(Now what was MY excuse again??????)

Maybe so but the birch tree is dead. Bwoohahaha.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't have a piece of rail long enough I think the drop trick will work but I'll give the sledge hammer method a try. Maybe Deb will shoot video.

No Ian, I think that fella was from your side of the equator name of One Bulloc Zack. Got too far on the wrong side of an Alaskan girl who took the xxxx . . . on him. post-975-0-00366400-1372823423_thumb.jpg

Frosty The Lucky.

I do believe that that is the way they cut rail in the field before the days of motor driven cutoff saws. I have several one foot lengths of early rail which were clearly scored with a cold chisel. The rail often became damaged at the ends and had to be trimmed back and then new rail joint holes drilled with a hand crank drill. They were not piecing in little one foot splices so the entire rail must have be put aside for other projects where a shorter section would do. Pump your hand car several miles down the track --- cut rail by hand --- drill rail by hand. That’s a day’s work!

frosty that pic actually made me laugh so hard i had a coughing fit afterwards (sick right now <_< ) but worth it!  its kind of like the tin man taking a leak!

That was the first Art On Fire iron pour and she was the lead, calling the shots. I just happened to be in the right spot at the "right" time. Pat our main caster here in the valley and the sectary treasurer of the Association of Alaskan Blacksmiths FWD'd the pic to her and she just shrugged saying pics like it happened all the time.

I should've put a warning on it to make sure folk weren't drinking milk when they looked, or maybe made sure they WERE.

Glad you got a laugh, the audience sure did when I pointed it out to them. Folk started shifting around to get the angle while they were pouring. It's not like it's that interesting to watch a well coordinated team pouring, molten metal is neatO but after a while. . .

Frosty The Lucky.

On 7/2/2013 at 12:21 AM, Frosty said:

As a rail road tool I'll bet it was used to score rail to break. Simply score rail at the point you want it to break, lift it and drop it on another piece of rail at the scored place and it'll snap surprisingly cleanly. I've heard it can be snapped with a hearty blow from a sledge hammer but haven't seen that done.

On 7/2/2013 at 11:51 PM, Frosty said:

I don't have a piece of rail long enough I think the drop trick will work but I'll give the sledge hammer method a try. Maybe Deb will shoot video.

On 7/2/2013 at 11:52 PM, monstermetal said:

I vote for Frostys answer.   I have a one as well and I someday plan to try and lop off some rail with it.   They scored all the way around and then dropped the rail on another peice and it broke at the score

So, in theory, the 8ft length of rail that I have, of which I have attempted to cut with a 7" angle grinder in two spots and is cut all the way around, should be able to be snapped at those points by either dropping it on another piece of rail or by a hefty blow from a heavy sledge? That is very good to know. I have reached a point with the angle grinder where the blade catches too easily and I've had two blades blow up on me. I'm done trying that, to say the least, it's a xxxxxxx heart attack every time they blow.

Yes. Drop it so it lands on the scored line on something solid like another piece of rail. Or lay it over said piece of rail or whatever and give it a hearty smack on the overhanging end. Heck, maybe going caveman on it with a large rock will do. Hit it on the overhanging end and support it on the scored line, regardless.

Frosty The Lucky.

Alternatively put the scoremark on a large piece of angle iron placed on a cinderblock, now stand on on end, have someone drop an anvil(large) on the other end. Post video! We'll either be very impressed or very amused :D  And You'll either owe someone a "thank you" or a "good kicking"

Ian