I Forge Iron

Am I the only one.......?

....who works at the anvil with the horn on my right side??? I have noticed by observing lots of other smiths from pictures on this site and at open forges and demonstrations that working at the anvil with the horn on the left side seems to be the norm. Being right handed this just seemed odd to me from the start and not very comfortable. Also, most old anvils I have seen are typically worn on the far edge when the horn is at my left.

My anvil horn is on the left (I'm right handed) and it seems more comfortable to me that way. I started with the horn to the left because (as Simmonds observed) the old anvil I started with had damage on the far side. After I moved up in anvils I put the horn to the left (tradition?) although I work all around the anvil.

I think that you should work from whatever side you feel best with. Don't let the guys give you any guff about having your anvil "backwards".

Steve

I'm right handed and I use the horn to the left. For me it's easier to work with because I can work at the face and the horn without moving my feet. If the horn were to the right, I would need to move my feet.

Look at hardy holes. When a hardy hole is located on the tail, and your horn is facing to the left, there is the danger of your hand coming in contact with a hardy tool while you are working on the face while there is a tool in the hole. Now, English pattern anvils have the hardy hole on the tail,but MANY, and probably the majority, of anvil patterns have the hardy hole on the horn side near the junction of horn and face. Example: The German anvil, the French anvil, the Italian anvil, the Euroanvil, the Hofi anvil, the Tom Clark anvil, and more.

....p.s. Horned anvils have only been in wide use for a small fraction of the time that blacksmithing has been practiced.

I work mine from both sides but the horn is usually to my left.

Take tooling out of your hardy when not in use and you won't be hitting it with your hand.

On the other hand I rarely do any hammering down the length of the anvil so my hand doesn't get close to the hardy hole in the first place. In the second place if I am working down the length of the anvil I'm either using hardy tools or a hardy tool would be in the way. Either way I wouldn't be hitting it with my hand.

Of course that's just me, YMMV.

Frosty

In the shop I work with the horn to the left, but when I demo with my traditionalist buddy Dave, I always put the horn to the right. I kinda like the pattern the bulging veins in his forehead make when he sees me working like that.

Years ago,when I first brought my anvil into the shop,It occurred to me that I had to decide which way to turn it. Turning the horn to the right just seemed 'right' to me for some reason. (I'm right handed.) The big chip was already broken out of the face when I got It. Maybe that had something to do with my choice.....I don't remember.
Anyway,the missing chip and my turning it to the right has not affected it's usefullness for me. :Sometimes I work from the other side.
James

3115.attach

3116.attach