I Forge Iron

need help selecting a steel for project

bound201

A local vegetable farmer came to me in need of some help, he's retired and farms only 25 or so acres. His chisel plow broke a shank and he needs a new one made, I told him to buy one but the problem is that due to the age and manufacture of this plow no one makes them for it anymore and replacement parts are impossible to find.

For those not familiar with a chisel plow I've included a video of one in use below. Luckily there isn't a lot of work in this, other than getting the curve right and heat treating it. I'm just not sure what would be a good grade of steel for this project as I don't want him to have another problem with it.

I've recommended him to call places but he swears no one has one like it. I'm going to probably stop by a few local ag places and look first but if I do end up making it I'm curious what grade of steel would be recommended and the heat treat recommended for it. Obviously it can't be too hard as we don't want it to break but it needs to be strong enough to retain its shape even after flexing some.

Spring tempered 5160 comes to mind with the tempering closer to the hot end.

Sorry I just saw this as my neighbor  works in a John Deere dealership and we have loads of OLD stuff here in NM.

Unfortunately I'm now 200 miles away till probably the 6th of july..

How about trying to contact the original manufacturer or whichever company now has the "name"? Someone should probly have a good idea. Even a website to the company might point you in the right direction. If I was to guess on my own I'd try something along the lines of 5160. Then do a quick search in the knife section on heat treating, guessing again tempered relatively soft. But that would be a guesstimate coming from someone who has not had to replace a chisel blade on a plow before.

Thomas beat me to the post I'd go with his advice.

Its going to depend on what sort of sizes you have at your disposal, from the vid it looks like it is a fairly heavy rectangle section, can you get spring steel in that section, or are you going to have to forge it down from something else, I dont know what sort of equipment you have but I guess you'll need a powerhammer of some sort.  I like how you said, theres not much in it just get the shape right and heat treat it, that last part is going to be the bit you need some skill for, heat treating it.  Do you have a quench tub to quench the whole thing in, in oil.  How are you going to heat it all up to quench it in one go, how will you temper it all over?

If you forge out a bit of stock to the right size make sure you do not have any sharp corners on it when you finish, put the stock up on its corners in the final heat and give it a run on the corners under the hammer to break those sharp edges as those sharp edges are where the cracks will start from.

If you have trouble getting 5160 big enough I would use 4340 or even 4140 as a substitute, just make sure the HT is right for the application.

what ever steel you choose, I would try it "as forged" before any heat treat, IF it bends ( and I think it won't ) try an oil quench and use the old way of tempering ........heat it until the oil burns off. As Forgemaster recommended break the edges

Well round here we use old buggy springs they can be ordered from "The Old Cumberland Store" they are not cheep every one round here takes them to a local fab shop that rolls them to match an old one they punch a few holes in the for the new cutter and put them back on and get back to work .

Sam

It'd certainly be a great learning experience.  I would probably farm out the heat treat if that was required, though.

No harm in making one out of 5160 and trying it as-is to see how it holds up.  If heat-treat is needed, go for it.  If not, great!