I Forge Iron

Locks and lockpicks

No, I am not planning on lockpicking any doors. I was wondering, though, if there are any locksmiths on this website who would be willing to tell me a little about how they work and what methods you use to make them. As stated in anothewr one of my posts, I am working on a novel, and it is set in the middle ages when there were different jobs for blacksmiths to do--cutler, armorer, locksmith, etc. So I would just like to gather a bit more knowledge about the subject from experienced smiths like y'all :)  Thanks!

NoviceSmith15;

I'm certainly no locksmith, nor an expert on the subject.  As for an introduction on very basic lock theory go to the Anvil fire website select the . Once there scroll down to articles 139, 140, 145, and 149.  These will not make you an expert, but will give you a very good basic knowledge of lock smithing terms and the development of the technology. Many thanks to Jock Dempsey for those articles.  There's also a link elsewhere on the Anvil fire site to an e-book (scanned) copy of Chubb's book on locks (yes, that 'Chubb' family name.)

Don Shears

links removed at insistence of owner of that site

There is nothing fancy about medieval locks, I once heard them described as ''Designed to keep an honest man honest''.

A lot of the lock plates found are very basic - a bolt for the hasp, a spring and maybe a couple of wards to obstruct the key ( often there were no wards at all).

The real intricate locks started appearing in the renaissance times.

Wayne

As Wayne says, the lock can be fairly simple. However, one needs to carefully measure, and there will be some careful cold filing. I've made a couple of chest mortise locks, Mexican style, and my limited experience tells me to make the keyhole in the escutcheon first. Then make a key to fit that outline. The bottom of the key bit is radiused. When the key is inserted and rotated, it will show the placement of the horizontal bolt with its "talons" and the bolt keepers. When the bolt is thrown by the key into its closed position, a spring can engage a notch in the bolt to prevent the bolt being pushed backwards into the open position.

I have a book on the topic which was interesting to comprehend how they work and how improvements came along to make them harder to pick.  It's fine detail work to be sure.  There's a Woodwrights shop episode with Peter Ross where they show some of the old lock making techniques.

http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2712.html

I love watching these guys work.

Just found out yesterday that one of my Mexican colleague's grandfather was a smith and made locks---I'm going to see if he can get pictures of any of his work.  How the world changes: his grandfather was a blacksmith and he's a computer engineer...

Good topic. Traditional locks and locksmithing are subjects near and dear to my heart.

I am afraid good sources of information are a little hard to find.

The very best book I have seen on the subject comes from the Hanns Schell Museum in Austria. Someday I hope to vist the museum.

http://www.schell-collection.com/index.php?id=3&L=1&tx_ttproducts_pi1[backPID]=3&tx_ttproducts_pi1[product]=6&cHash=6a07002aee

The book is facinating as it covers padlocks from Roman times up to the 20th century. The book also discusses the trade of the locksmith. Many smiths were specilists making only one kind of lock or key. If it would help, I can quote the sections relating to the locksmiths trade.

This website has a lot of good information about the trade as well as locks in general.

http://www.historicallocks.com/en/site/hl/Locks-and-technology/The-locksmiths-workshop/The-locksmith/

The Spruce Forge Manual of Locksmithing is decent. A good starter for a blacksmith who wants to make locks. Not a lot of historical information though.

As others have mentioned, locks from the middle ages through the renaissance were simple warded locks. Many locks from this period have very intricate and beautiful wards but they still are mechanically simple.  It was not until the late 18th century that the lever lock was invented which used mechanical means to increase security.

Attached is a photo of an orignal 16th-17th century padlock from Europe along with my attempt at one.

I hope the information helps.

Dan

post-784-0-44994500-1369327555_thumb.jpg

Hi Dan,

That is a nice lock, when the key turns does it throw a bolt or is the type you have an inverted L shaped arm with a compression spring.

I have a couple of late medieval/early renaissance box shaped locks I will have to dig out and photograph.

Wayne

Wayne,

The triangular lock has two L shaped bolts and a spring for each. When the key turns it just pushes back the bolts against the spring force. A really simple mechanism.

I would love to see some photos of your locks.

Thanks Dan