I Forge Iron

Trunnion swage block

TonyS

I have recently aquired this rotating swage block and hardy tools. Is anyone able to supply any information on its origin and age. It also came with lots of other tongs and swages tools.post-26761-0-61408000-1367493094_thumb.jpost-26761-0-29422700-1367493190_thumb.jpost-26761-0-38715300-1367493337_thumb.j

These can currently be purchased new but I'm not sure where right offhand. John c Campbell folk school has a new one in their shop and I've seen a couple of other ones. I think someone had them for sale at ABANA in 2012. They are handy blocks, but I do wonder how much heavy work they would take.

John Newman from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada was casting and selling a trunion style block.  I think I remember him saying they weren't selling well.  He is a member on this board.

Dang! beat me to it!

The block was found on a farm in Australia fwhere there was on old blacksmith buggy making business, it is all cast steel and as hard as my anvil. It is older than 80 years old as that is how long the person who owned it family hasnt used the shop for. Definately not cast iron.

You're a lucky fellow to have found something like that, never mind all the tools!

I've been fascinated by the trunnion style of swage blocks as the seem eminently practical compared to the stand-alone blocks we're all familiar with.  

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...